Chapter 8

I wake up and it's pitch black, and when I go to move I whack my arm on something that isn't usually beside my bed. I'm so out of it after the horrible sleep and nightmares I had.

"You ok?" Someone comes in, and it takes me a second to realise it's Harry.

And that's when I realise I hadn't been having nightmares. Hope - it really did happen. I start crying again, and Harry's on the bed in an instant, hugging me again.

"I thought it was a dream," I say into his shirt. "A nightmare. But it wasn't."

I never thought I'd be able to cry so much for someone I barely knew. What would happen if I lost a close friend? A family member? Suddenly I remember my family.

"What time is it?" I ask Harry, separating us just the slightest.

"Almost midnight," is Harry's reply, and I almost knock him out trying to get out of the bed.

"My parents-" I start.

"Know you're here," Harry finishes. "I told them you were here and they know if you don't come home you're safe. It's late, you can stay here tonight."

I give him a funny look. "I only live next door. I don't have to walk 50 miles to get home."

Harry shrugs. "I know, but I just thought if you wanted to stay. Plus your parents are probably already in bed."

I shrug now. "I'm not really tired anymore."

"Me neither," Harry agrees. "I was watching TV if you want to come out and join me. I can make you something to eat if you're hungry too."

I smile, suddenly realising that the Harry Styles laying on the bed in front of me is probably not one people see very often. It's like a completely new Harry compared to the usual carefree, playful boy I met just a week ago.

"Why are you smiling?" Harry asks cautiously, perhaps afraid that I'll break again. He smiles too, but it's reserved.

I sit on the bed and fiddle with the strings on my shirt. "I like this," I say out of the blue.

"What?" Harry is completely confused, and I can understand why. He sits up, trying to read my face.

"This other side to you. Not the superstar side. This." I point to his chest, and my heart races as I close my eyes and lean into him.

"Lexi," he says, and I feel one hand on my shoulder and the other on my face. "Just - not like this. Not now," he urges. I open my eyes, and he lingers so close to me, and I almost think he'll change his mind as he rocks toward me then back again, before quickly planting a kiss on my forehead. "Not now," he repeats, and pulls himself off the bed.

"Come on, I'll make you something to eat," Harry says calmly as he waits in the doorway for me to follow.

"No," I say quietly. "No, I think I'll go home." I don't know what else to do. I don't want to stay here. I feel rejected, though rationally I shouldn't. I know it's stupid to let emotions take over when you're this unstable, but I want Harry, and I thought he wanted me.

"Lexi, please stay," Harry begs quietly.

"I can't," I whisper as I push past him and out of the house. It's dark outside, but I can just make things out enough to get across his yard safely and climb over the fence. I make the stupid mistake of looking back, and Harry's standing at the backdoor, watching me go.

We watch each other for a moment, and I promise myself I won't go back, I have to be stronger than that. But I silently pray that he'll chase after me. But he doesn't move an inch, so I turn my back and go inside.