1. A Place For Thieves

CHAPTER ONE - A PLACE FOR THIEVES

"Hey girlie, show us what you've got," the big man laughed at me, showing his black and ugly teeth, "cause we've been waiting all week to get our money's worth out of you."

I flicked a strand of dark hair away from my face, indifferent to his taunts. All I needed was to wait here a few more minutes before my contractor found me, but these brawlers were making that wait exceedingly long.

"Ain't that why you're always here, sweetheart?" His breath was hot on my face as he stepped closer to me, "To bet? Cause that's why I'm here, and I'm bettin on you."

Control, I told myself, calm and control. They'll leave. Calm. Control.

I said nothing, my eyes scanning through the tight crowd, looking for Veneticci, but he still wasn't here. His Rhyosian accent could be heard from anywhere, but tonight it was either strangely quiet, or strangely gone.

"You listenin to me, girl?"

I felt the man draw closer, his breath beginning to grow not only warmer but smellier.

Calm. Don't react. I continued the mantra I had been told over and over to recite, but it was becoming increasingly hard to keep up with as I felt my personal space grow smaller and smaller every second.

Veneticci, where are you?

Not only did the odd man have a loud voice, but he also had a loud choice of clothes. The foreigner typically wore gaudy gold and shimmering purple fabrics, and they were traditionally bundled together in such a way that they spanned at least a foot out from his body at all times, a Rhyosian style. People usually gave Veneticci a good berth, if not for him but for his clothes.

"You really shouldn't ignore me, girl!" The man grabbed my arm, clenching it in his fingers.

I took in a sharp line of breath, feeling the blood rush to my head. Calm, calm, calm!

"Let me go," I said quickly, trying to peacefully end this before my rage did, "I'm not here to fight."

But he only grasped my arm tighter, "Sure you are, sweetie. Because that pretty sword of yours right there is just for show, eh?"

He began to reach down for my hilt, but I backed away before he could take hold of it, though he still had hold of me.

"Nah, nah," he clicked his tongue at me, "not like that."

Calm. Control yourself. I gritted my teeth, biting down on my tongue so I wouldn't bite out at him. His friends were watching us from a few feet away, and they were now cheering him on.

"That's a Kingsword, isn't it, girlie?" He looked up at me and smiled with greedy eyes, "Those catch a pretty penny. How'd you end up with one, I wonder?"

I yanked my arm away, but he held fast, not letting go.

My blood was now pulsing fast and hot, coursing through me, ready to fight. I could hear it pounding through my chest, could feel it wracking my bones.

Calm yourself!

"If you give it to me, I guess I could let you go. And that's what you want right?" He licked his lips.

"Don't do this," I breathed, "please."

The man roared into laughter, "Please? What are you, a pretty princess?"

Damn you, Veneticci. Where are you tonight?

"Now give me that sword!" He grasped for my Kingsword again, this time his fingers brushing against the handle.