Chapter 14: Kimberley

Once I get to school I rush straight to my locker.  I’m lucky that my locker isn’t far from the entrance where we come in.  I pull my backpack off and stuff the things I don’t need into the locker.  Then take out the knife from my boot cautiously and try to hide it by putting books and pencil bags in front of it and close the door.  I sigh as a bunch of weight felt like it is lifted off my shoulders.  I don’t have to worry about anyone finding it. 

I pick up my backpack when I hear someone call my name.  I look around for the voice and find Blake waving in my direction.  I sigh and adjust the strap on my shoulder, then walk over to him.  “What’s up?” I ask yawning. 

“What was that I saw you put in your locker?”  He asks walking beside me.  I stop in my tracks.  He comes in front of me and looks me in the eye.   

“Why do you want to know?”  I ask crossing my arms.                                 

“Is it a knife?”  I should know by now I couldn’t sneak anything past Blake.  His eyes missed almost nothing.  Guess that’s something in common between us.  My eyes are like hawks, almost nothing gets past me.   

I bite my lip and look away from him then shrug, “Maybe?”                                 

He sighs and starts walking again, I catch up with him.  “Why would you bring it to school?  What, do you think a Canadian would come attack you here, or was it for Drake?”

“I didn’t mean to bring it to school!”  I snap. “I guess I didn’t empty my weapons out after training this morning.  And, besides if I were to use it on Drake, I would’ve used it on the bus,” I joke, but Blake is not smiling. “What?”

“That outburst on the bus wasn’t necessary,” he says sternly to me. 

“He started it!  I just wanted to finish it.”  I exclaim. 

“You’re better than that, you know how to control your emotions. He doesn’t.” He explains.  “Yes we all know how you can beat him up and probably brake one of his bones, but why does it matter?”  Suddenly the school bell rang signaling you have one minute to get to class.  Blake sighs and shakes his head, “Never mind, we’ll talk about it later.”

“You know we are the same age, you’re only a few months older than me.  You can’t just boss me around and treat me like I’m your daughter.” We stop in front of the doorway of our class room.  Before we go in I stand in the entrance facing Blake, blocking him from getting in.  “I’m not your daughter, I’m your cousin.”

I don’t wait for a response as I walk into the classroom angry at Blake. I strap my backpack on the chair behind me and put my head on my desk, wishing to disappear from this moment.  I don’t like getting into quarrels with my cousins because they are my family, but sometimes I can’t help it.  Jason and Blake think they are always right, just because they’ve been Outcasts longer then I have.  Only in this case, I hate to admit, but they are right.  I need to keep my emotions under control.  I just hate that I’m the youngest out of the three of us.