❝ you're messing up my everything ❞

(unedited)

You're inside of me,
You're messing up my everything,
But you don't care, you don't care.
Your misery was looking for some company,
And I was there,
I was there.

"Every High Has a Comedown" –Anarbor

"So," Vanessa said as she sat down beside me.

"So?" I prompted, raising an eyebrow when she didn't continue.

"Who are you going to the Winter Formal with?" she asked.

"Right now? No one," I told her. There were only three days until the dance, but honestly bigger things had been on my mind. Such as the fact that I would have to leave in a week and a half. And that exams were in a week. And that someone I talked to on a regular basis wanted to kill me.

You know, the usual high school stuff.

"What about Ashton?" Vanessa demanded, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I shrugged. "What about him?"

"You guys aren't going together?"

I shrugged again. "I don't think so, no."

"You don't think so?" she repeated.

"I haven't asked him, he hasn't asked me. You have to ask someone to go to a dance with you, don't you?" I wasn't completely oblivious to how the typical 'social custom' for asking someone to a dance with you went, though I had never been asked before, so I wasn't really sure if there was some special case where it could just be assumed.

Vanessa's jaw dropped. "Have you never been asked to a dance before?"

I shook my head.

She muttered something under her breath that I didn't quite catch, but before I could ask, Jacen and Skylar sat down at the table.

"What are you guys talking about?" Skylar asked.

"Elena's never been asked to a dance before," Vanessa answered before I could stop her by changing the subject.

I sighed. Note to self: Vanessa cannot keep a secret.

I hadn't specifically asked her to keep it a secret, but I remembered a time before where she had done the same thing after I told her Jacen had kissed me. It had ended up in a fist fight between Jacen and Ashton.

Jacen raised an eyebrow. "Well, we have to change that, don't we?"

I stared at him. "What?"

He stood up.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

The he climbed onto the table.

If he makes this an announcement to ask some guy to ask me I'm going to choke him.

"Hey, watch it!" Skylar exclaimed, pulling her lunch -a salad and yogurt- away from his feet before he ended up kicking both onto her.

"Hey!" Jacen yelled, effectively catching the attention of every person in the room. The cafeteria went silent as everybody turned to stare at him. "I have something important to say."

He turned to me.

I'm going to kill him.

"What the hell are you doing?" I hissed up at him.

He ignored me, clearing his throat. "Elena Evans will you be my date to the Winter Formal?"

Then, everyone turned to stare at me.