Chapter 5

Fifteen hours, forty-six minutes and one pit stop later, we are finally in Cario, Egypt. The sun has just begun to rise, casting a soft glow over the city at five in the morning. Opting to seek refuge in an inn, we plan to catch a few hours of sleep before our local guide arrives to transport us to the excavation site at nine. 

With a bit of tradition, we draw sticks to determine our roommates for both the interim and our upcoming stay at the excavation site. I accept my fate without complaint when the name 'Fredrick Monetary' adorns the stick I draw, elegantly scripted in cursive. Meanwhile, Doctor Fuller insists on swapping rooms with Oliver, citing her selection of 'Peter Jefferson' as her roommate.

I can hardly blame her for wanting to avoid Jefferson's company. In her shoes, I'd likely do the same.

The inn's accommodations are simple yet comfortable. Each bed is adorned with crisp white linen sheets, positioned facing a sturdy wooden work desk, the beds are arranged neatly along the carpeted flooring, creating an atmosphere of practicality and efficiency.

Two French windows stand proudly adjacent to the beds, offering a picturesque view of the bustling marketplace below. The air-conditioning unit hums quietly in the background, maintaining the temperature of the room at comfortable levels amidst the rising morning heat.

"I'll take the bed by the door if you don't mind, Ms Mason," Mr Monetary announces as I head for the bed by the window/balcony. "You might want to catch some sleep before the local comes, I heard we're going to work till lunch once we get to the site."

Offering a nod of acknowledgement, I step out onto the balcony, inhaling deeply as I take in the familiar scent of the desert mingled with the bustling sounds of the awakening marketplace below. The gentle murmurs of vendors and customers haggling over the freshest goods create a comforting symphony.

At this moment, surrounded by the sights and sounds of Egypt, I feel a sense of belonging wash over me. After all these years, I've finally returned home.

If I claimed to have drifted into slumber the moment my head touched the pillow, it would be far from the truth. My mind buzzed with the weight of the excavation team's findings and the potential ramifications should anything go awry during our exploration. Consequently, the hours passed fitfully, and it seemed to take as long to wake as it did to finally drift off. Unlike Mr. Monetary, who appears revitalized after his rest, I feel as though I've been run over by a freight train and no doubt, I looked the part as well.

After freshening up and partaking in the innkeeper's offerings for breakfast, our local guide arrived promptly at nine in a compact five-seater jeep—a mode of transport considerably smaller than anticipated, much to Jefferson's chagrin. Following extensive deliberation, it was decided that I would have the dubious honour of sharing Louis's lap for the duration of the journey.

The sun beats down mercilessly as we traverse the desert, the journey proving arduous with the road rough and unforgiving. Doctor Fuller's condition worsens, her discomfort evident as she retches for the third time in as many hours. Having long lost all feeling in my rear from the uncomfortable journey—despite spending it perched on Louis's lap—I grow increasingly impatient with every additional minute spent in the cramped jeep.

"This is one of the most uncomfortable rides I've ever had in my life," I shout to Louis as the jeep runs over a particularly large rock, causing me to completely fly up from his lap. "Are we there yet, Jefferson?"

"Almost, Ms Mason," The man himself yells shakily as the jeep hops about on the uneven road. "About a half hour's drive more!"

Half hour's drive! My nails dig themselves into Louis's arms as he encircles them around my midsection, holding me against him in an attempt to keep me from flying out of the vehicle. Though it may seem unbelievable beside us, Mr Monetary sleeps soundly as we bounce and bump along the road. How he does it is beyond me, with this bumpy ride I'm surprised he can even breathe easy while dozing off like he is.