Chapter 6 - Odds and Ends

"Living room, you two. We need to talk." Jace expected his father's words when they arrived home that evening, knowing it had to do with the argument that morning. He saw his mother's lips part, but she shook her head and motioned for them to follow their father.

He saw his parents with only a glass coffee table separating them from him and Abby on the opposite couch. It felt more like being in a parent-teacher conference than a family talk.

Jace didn't have to look in his father's eyes to see he wasn't happy - his voice was firm enough. "I don't think I have to tell you that you're grounded for your outburst this morning - for blatantly disrespecting your mother."

Abby started to protest, but withdrew quickly.

"But I will say this," their father continued, looking between the two of them. "I think we haven't had the opportunity to really talk about this before we moved to Femince. I realize I've asked much from all of you. If you both want to ask your mother and me questions and voice your concerns about our move here - now's the time."

A long silence passed before Jace decided he'd better break the ice. He felt his eyes shift again.

"Why didn't you tell us before two days in advance? You and mom said you prepared us for this, but you never said you'd move us from Gorodia to another century completely."

His father nodded. "I'm glad you asked that, Jaceynd. There was...always a possibility for relocation with my work. We've raised you to know many other times and learn certain things about the culture of Earth and the other planets in the Milky Way with respect to their space stations. We didn't know the time would be now. I had a week's notice that something in my job would change."

"But no job in the cosmos is worth moving away from our friends and changing our lives on 'tentative' information." Abby protested. "Couldn't you have just asked for another job or something?"

Jace saw his father's eyes shift to a empty blue. "That's a lot to ask, considering my job has been able to provide you with what you and Jaceynd have had up until now."

"But it's not just your job! It's our lives!" Abby protested.

"Honey, of course your father knows that," their mother interjected. "And you know that he works hard for the both of you. We both do. It was hard enough having to digest the news. Your father's work is very important. It helps us maintain the fragile threads that exist between the future and the past."

"It's not something that I can quit," their father continued. "The research that I do preserves not only the lives of the people that live here on Earth but also the diplomatic relationships within our galaxy. Not to mention provide you two, your mother, and your grandmother the safest place to be in any time. I would give my life to ensure that. And I love you too much to leave you behind in the future with the possibility of never seeing me again. Would you have rather had that?"

Abby's lip quivered on something left unspoken.

"There weren't any other options you could've taken? At all?" Jace asked.

His father shook his head.

Jace bristled, a shiver running down his spine. "Are we going to stay here for the rest of our lives?"

Jace's father nodded. "It's a permanent relocation and identity restructuring. You'll both retain your names and general identities except for the background information you've been given. But I don't need to remind you two of this. From the Jump sessions, I'm sure you know what you are and aren't allowed to discuss here."