7

seven

I reached the edge of the forest, it hurt to breathe and my sides ached with stitches. I finally had the chance to turn back, bent over with my hands on my knees as I gasped for breath. Flynn wasn't there.

My head was spinning as I looked around for him, going around in circles. I took a few steps back into the forest, hidden between the trees, but he was nowhere to be found.

"Flynn?" I spoke, my throat burned but I knew I had to try harder, louder, "Flynn!"

"Amoret?" I heard his voice, he was quiet, faraway.

"F-Flynn, where are you?" I turned around frantically, searching the forest with my eyes widened in panic. "Are you-you hurt?"

"I'm okay," I heard him whimper. He was lying, I knew he was in pain, I could hear it in his voice.

"No-No, you're not, F-Flynn," I said, "please, come out."

"I can't, Amoret," he was too quiet, "go home."

"I can't leave w-without you, I-I can't se-"

"Amoret, you need to leave. I'm okay, trust me, I'm better than you know," he interrupted me, "go home, please, I'll come see you soon."

"P-Promise?" I asked, "To-Tonight?"

"I still have yet to pick up my things, don't I? I'll be there soon, you head home without me." There was a flash of dark brown against the trees, reminding me of Flynn's hair and almost blending in completely.

Good thing I knew my way home.

I walked back to Macia's without him but he was the only thing on my mind, I wondered if he was okay, if he really would come back but most importantly, I thought about the haunting sounds of things snapping and breaking, the growls that followed.

"M-Macia," I said as I entered the shop. She looked up at me from her desk, she stopped sewing.

"Are you alright?" Macia stood up, "Why are you crying, Amoret?"

"I'm c-c-crying?" I paused, wiping underneath my eyes to feel the wetness on my face, "I'm c-crying."

"Oh, come her, it's okay," Macia cooed, pulling me into her and rubbing my back. "Tell me what happened."

"It was so scary, there were g-growls and-and snapping an-and I didn't know what to do because Flynn was yell-yelling at me to run and-and-" I hiccuped, tightening my hold on her.

"It's okay," she shushed me, "I'm going to put you to bed and you'll go to sleep, okay? You'll feel better afterwards."

"I can't I-I-I need to wait for Flynn," I spoke, "I need to-to, he promised."

"I can wake you up," she told me, "come on."

"No, you don't understand!" I cried and pushed her away from me, "I could hear him, h-he was in pain, I could-could hear it in-in his voice, he was hurt an-"

"Hey," she shushed me again, "let's get you to bed. Come on, Amoret."

It reminded me of the times I begged to go outside and Mama wouldn't let me, those didn't end well for me. Mama always won and I always stayed in the basement.

I knew when to quit.

Macia took me back to my room, tucking me into bed like I was a little girl. I thanked her and she left me alone.

She was right, I needed to sleep.

Macia was shaking me awake, I looked up at her with sleepy eyes, she answered my questioning gaze with, "Flynn is here."

I got up quickly, excited to see him. I made sure to wash my face first, I took notice of how my eyes were still lined with red and my face was blotchy. Rushing to go back to the shop made me nearly fall down the stairs, Flynn was the first thing I seen.

He was perfectly fine, a change of clothes but other than that there was no change and nothing wrong.

"Flynn, you're okay," I stated, shocked.

"I told you, I'm perfectly fine," he grinned, pulling me into a quick hug.

"How is that possible? You were in pain, I could hear it," I said, not knowing whether I was trying to convince him or myself.

"I just fell on a rock at one point, scraped my knee a bit. I'm all good," Flynn reassured me.

I glanced over to Macia, she was still sewing something.

"Show me," I demanded, "I want to see it."

"What?" He pulled back and shrugged, "I got a bandage on it, it's healing and I shouldn't take it off just to show you how bad the tiny scratch is."

"Why is there a bandage on it if it's so tiny?" I asked him, trying to catch him in a lie or something. The situation didn't seem right, it left me with a weird feeling.

"You got me there," he laughed, running a hand through his curls, "uh, so, oh, well, would you look at the time! It's time for me to get going, I got a deadline to catch."

"No-" I grabbed his arm gently but firmly, "-you need to tell me what happened back there. I need to know, please."

"Amoret, it's best if you don't know," Flynn told me.

"I need to know. I don't know what it was and I didn't see anything but I know you were hurt, you wouldn't even come out. I need you to tell me, please, Flynn," I practically begged, putting on my best puppy dog eyes.

He looked down at me and with a sigh said, "Alright, I'll tell you."

"Really?" I asked, realizing how easy it was to get him to listen to me, "You can tell me about the snapping, the growls and why you wouldn't come out?"

"Yeah, I can explain," he told me.

W O R D C O U N T : 1044

Now, this part is a little short but it's just so that I can move on and get more into the story

Anyways, if I have any readers at all, it would be very helpful to get some feedback, maybe? Even a like or something would really help.

Thanks!

I hope you all enjoy this part.