Wattpad Original
Υπάρχουν 5 ακόμα δωρεάν μέρη

three: Invidia Corp (Part I)

—Roberto Tapir - Grizzly Bear—

Roberto shook the worry off his shoulders, laced his fingers at the back of his head, and looked around. This was going to be easy. Anachronica was overreacting.

"And here you can see my very favorite latte machine." Mary beamed, stretching a paper-white arm towards a small reflective black box. She touched the icon of a coffee cup in the center of the surface, and a short drip tray and a white coffee nozzle hummed out. "Beautiful, innit?"

Roberto opened his lips. Closed. Narrowed his eyes, arms akimbo. "Well, it's... something."

After leaving Iara's office and recovering Rob's meager belongings, the group had followed through the labyrinthine corridors back to the HQ's common areas. Mary, Roberto's self-appointed guide, first took him to what she called the most important place in the HQ. Roberto expected to see weapons, radars, and red leather armchairs with oppressive, villainesque backrests. Instead, she took him to the breakroom.

Mary rested a hand on the machine and beamed. "As the largest coffee specialist on both Continents, Invidia produces premium quality coffee beans all year round. Along with health and dental care and a clear career plan, this symbolizes everything that makes Invidia such an amazing place to work."

Satina scoffed, raising an incredulous pair of eyes.

"Tap this button," Mary said. A lanky finger tapped the round green icon on the screen. "And the most delicious hot drink will be poured for you." She paused for effect, palms up to show the machine. It hummed as it ground the beans, then poured a dense black liquid into a cup. "From The New Continent Farms, directly to your coffee mug." She took the cup and offered it to Roberto, winking. "Here, taste it."

Rob took the white cup, then glanced at Léon in a silent question.

"She's re-enacting Invidia's TV ad." Léon smiled and crossed his arms. "She starred in it and is very proud. Aren't you, Mary?"

"I had to end the competition to take the part." Mary winked.

That was a joke. Right? After a heartbeat, Rob barked a laugh. "Right! Invidia ads on the telly. Blimey, yes! I watched 'em. Gotta say, lady, you're quite the actress."

"Oh. Thanks, Mr. Bear. I also saw you on TV." Mary narrowed her eyes, tilting her head to one side. "And I gotta say, you're quite the Hero."

Rob's eyebrows twitched. Was Mary trying to say something?

Satina grunted in disgust, massaging her forehead. "Let's please just move on."

The villain breakroom was exaggeratedly bright and citron-fresh. White bubble chairs hung from the rustic cement ceiling by thick chains, and white double sofas divided the room into smaller ambients peppered by flower pots of white caladium. It was like being inside the high-tech office of a successful startup.