Crush, Crushed

The goose honks loudly. Heather doesn't need to speak goose to get the message. Father goose was trying to scare off Heather.

The goose has been glaring at Heather for like a good fifteen minutes. They are about twenty feet apart. He stretches his neck really long and holds up his chin. He tries to look as big as he can ever be. "Protective Man Of The House" syndrome? Well, I suppose. Can't really blame him. His goslings are so young. Their fur is still dirty yellow in color. They follow their mom wherever she goes.

I look down at this young lady, Heather, who sits on the bench just a few feet away from me. She is a grade ten day girl from the neighborhood. She comes from one of the affluent families in this town a few years ago.

She looks indifferent to the warnings sent by the goose. Does she know if he is agitated enough, he will attack? Is she testing his limits or she doesn't get it?

The goose stretches his wings and begins flapping. He honks even louder as if he is saying, "go away girl", sending an even stronger signal to Heather. I bet her staring is really getting on his nerves.

"Heather!" A girl shouts loudly.

I look up and there is Hiromi running towards us. She is a boarder from Japan. Her signature bob haircut makes her an unforgettable gal.

"Heather." Hiromi stands in front of Heather, catching her breath. She eyes the goose cautiously. She walks slowly closer to Heather, more away from the goose.

Heather looks at the goose and it no longer glares at her. Instead, he closes his wings and looks very curiously at the girls.

"Heather, Mrs. Cunningham is looking for you. Your father is waiting for you in the office." Hiromi is still panting and her rosy cheeks make her so adorable. No one can be angry at that face.

Heather looks up, very annoyed.

"I know." She snaps.

"Are you coming with me?" Hiromi asks, being quite concerned

"No." Heather leans back on the bench and continues her staring contest with the goose.

I sigh. Please, Heather dear. Don't let Hiromi being stuck in the middle, will you? I so wish I could just scoop her up and carry her back to the castle. But really, she has to willingly walk in there and face the reality.

"What do I tell Mrs. Cunningham then?" Hiromi is a bit nervous now.

"Don't tell her anything. Just say you can't find me. Go away Hiromi." Heather looks away, stretches out her arms and rests them on the back of the bench, as if she doesn't care what's going on inside the castle.

"Are you going to stay here then?" Hiromi asks and she once again eyes the goose cautiously.

Heather just rolls her eyes and turns her head the other way. Hiromi then reluctantly walks away.

Heather twirls a strand of her hair around her finger. After a good long minute, she looks to the direction where Hiromi has walked away. Hiromi is out of sight now.

She then rests her elbows on her knees while her fingers lace together. She bows her head for a few more minutes before she looks up at the goose again, who is now back to his defensive stance, glaring at Heather.

"You stupid goose! Back off!" Heather abruptly stands up and yells. "So you think you are the head of the family and that makes you superior? You are just an idiot! All you do is just honk. You sound so stupid!" Heather continues to shout at the goose and waves her hands in the air at the same time. She then steps onto the bench, projecting a more aggressive stance towards the goose.