#10 - Flash From the Past

Chapter 10 - Flash From the Past
published: Monday, 10 September 2018

"What was the significant event that occurred on November 9, 1989?"

Before Mrs Brown had even completed her question, Annabeth's hand shot into the air.

Mrs Brown called on her with a sigh.

"The demolition of the Berlin Wall," Annabeth declared. Her stack of history notes - all hand-written - was flipped open in front of her to the page of the Berlin Wall.

She calmly ignored the snickers and whispers that erupted behind her.

"What a nerd. When is she ever not studying?" It was Jillian Crux, the brown-haired, blue-eyes most popular girl in their year and, in Annabeth's opinion, the most ignorant person to ever walk this Earth. And that was saying something considering Percy Jackson existed.

Just thinking about him made her heart clench in frustration.

He wasn't exactly stupid, but he was dumb in an oblivious kind of way. Annabeth had had a crush on him - probably her best guy friend - for a while now, but she'd only come to terms with her feelings last summer, when they were trapped in a volcano where she'd thought he was going to die and she kissed him.

Yet, somehow, Percy didn't get the hint. Or worse, maybe he understood her feelings and he didn't like her that way. Annabeth couldn't bear to think about losing such an important friendship, and it hindered her from pursuing something more with Percy.

Something else that stopped her from going after him was also Rachel Elizabeth Dare. She was a red-headed girl who had caught Percy's interest in the last few years.

Annabeth remembered strolling up to Goode High last summer, her heart racing at the thought of watching a movie with Percy, and discovering that he was running off with Rachel. And she could see through the Mist, which meant that her being a mortal wouldn't keep her away.

"Can't believe she even bothers coming to school. Doesn't she understand that no one even cares that she exists?" This time it was Nancy, Jillian's best friend and number one henchman. She wasn't muscular, and she appeared scrawny with stringy red hair, but Nancy was infamous for beating kids up in the hallways at Jillian's command, or stuffing their heads into the toilet bowls.

Kind of like a less-likeable Clarisse.

Annabeth threaded her fingers together under the table and took a deep breath in.

Don't respond to bullies, it'll only make things worse.

It was times like this where the thought of Camp Half-Blood comforted her. Even the looming Titan War was somewhat of a comfort because it reminded her that high school was not her entire life.

After another agonising 10 minutes of snarky whispers and sharp comments, Annabeth gratefully burst out of the History classroom.

Waiting for her was Haley, pretty much her only friend in the entire school. Haley was an...alternative person. She ditched school if she felt like Starbucks, and never bothered to finish any work unless her overbearing parents forced her too. As a result, Haley could usually be found in detention, which left Annabeth to fend for herself against Jillian and Nancy.

It was a complete surprise that Annabeth was even friends with Haley, considering they were polar opposites.

"Hey, I've got some juicy news," Haley said smugly as she high-fived Annabeth in greeting. "Apparently there're some new students, and one of them is supposed to be so cute."