Thirty-One - Call It Fate

FIVE YEARS LATER

Katie Torres was in the passenger seat, smiling at her girlfriend. Katie grabbed the girl's tan hand and kissed the back of it. They were on their way to a Jensen Parker concert for their one-year anniversary. Katie couldn't help but smile at the girl sitting beside her.

"What are you geeking about, babe?"

Katie shook her head at her girlfriend's question. "I'm just happy is all. Am I not allowed to be happy?" She teased.

"As long as I'm the one making you happy, then of course you are." The girl teased back.

"Taylor, I promise you that you are the only thing in my life making me happy right now." Katie reassured Taylor of her feelings, squeezing her hand tighter. "I mean who else will buy me backstage passes to Jensen Parker?"

"Oh I see. You only love me for the gifts." Taylor teased Katie.

Katie paused, making a thinking face jokingly. "Well," she tapped her chin, "yeah you're right. I just like you because you're the only one who will spoil me."

Katie didn't realize what venue the concert was at until they pulled up to the parking garage beside it. She was surprised that Jensen would preform in a standing room only venue, because she was a bigger act. Taylor told Katie that tickets sold out within minutes, but luckily Taylor knew someone who helped them out.

Katie and Taylor were allowed to go backstage before anyone else was even allowed in the venue. They introduced themselves to Jensen Parker's opening acts and Taylor immediately started cracking jokes with the band. Katie suddenly had other things on her mind.

Katie excused herself, telling Taylor she was going to the bathroom. "Excuse me," Katie grabbed one of the people dressed in black with a headset running around. He was young, and very frantic. "This is a long shot, but do you happen to know if there's a stagehand here named Dana Thomas?"

"Sorry," the boy shook his head, "I've been here for half a year, and I don't know anyone by that name."

"Okay." Katie was clearly upset, but not surprised. "Thank you anyway."

"Dana Thomas isn't a stagehand." A voice behind Katie spoke. "She's a stage manager now." Katie turned around to see who was now walking towards her. Katie's jaw dropped at the sight of the girl.

"Y-y-you're-" Katie stuttered.

"Hi," the girl smiled, "I'm Jensen Parker." Jensen stuck a hand out for Katie to shake.

Katie suddenly couldn't breathe and her heart started to feel like it was pounding so hard it would jump out of her chest. Jensen Miller was absolutely gorgeous. She was only a couple inches taller than Katie, around 5'6", had her long dark hair down and styled into loose curls, and had a smile that lit up the entire room. She wasn't dressed in anything fancy, which didn't make her any less intimidating or impressive to Katie. Jensen was wearing a black low sleeve tank top and dark skinny jeans.

Katie lifted her right hand to shake Jensen's. "I'm Katie Torres. I love you. I'm sorry that's weird. I didn't mean that. I mean I do, but not like I'm in love with you. I mean I don't even know you." Katie's voice was shaky and she felt like even with barely speaking she had said all the wrong words. "You know Dana? Dana Thomas? Dana Lynn Thomas? Like personally?"

"Well," Jensen shrugged, smiling, "let's just say if you're the Katie Torres that I'm thinking of then you and I have a lot in common." Katie's head shifted. She didn't understand. "Are you the infamous ex-girlfriend Dana told me about?"

"Dana told you about me? You know Dana? Wait..." It finally clicked what Jensen was trying to tell Katie. "You dated Dana? You mean you're no longer dating Dana? How did you even meet her? How the hell did Dana date you and not beg you to marry her? I mean look at you!" Katie realized she was rambling after seeing the look on Jensen's face and shut herself up.