TEN: Belly (Part 2)

CHAPTER TEN - Belly (Part 2)

BANG!

Three large boxes filled with clothes, books, underpants, balled up socks and scuba diving equipment came tumbling and clattering out of the closet. And Josie came with it, falling to the floor under a storm of boxes and falling debris.

He looked up to find Emerald and Howard standing over him. A pair of pink underpants sat on his head.

A scuba mask plunked down on top him.

"Ow!" Josie screeched.

"Geez, Emerald, you should really unpack."

"I agree!" Howard said, extending his hand to help up Josie. "I'm Emerald's dad, Howard."

"Uh, hi," Josie said, pulling himself up.

"You must be Josie."

"Yeah, um, nice to meet you," Josie said, rubbing his head where the scuba mask whacked him and shaking Howard's hand with the other.

"I'm sorry dad," Emerald.

"Um, Sir, Mr. Phan, sir, I can explain about being in the...." he pointed to the open door.

But before he could explain anything or before Howard could ask him any questions, or find out the full story from Emerald, there was a loud pounding on the front door.

They froze.

Emerald went to the window and looked out. The police were going door to door, looking for Josie. She couldn't see how many were at the door, but a couple were milling about her lawn, looking through bushes and behind trash cans.

"Police" she said.

"They're looking for me," Josie said to Howard. "They think I killed Trinket and now Marty...."

Howard looked at Emerald.

"We just moved into the neighborhood....we can't harbor a fugitive until we've been here at least a week," Howard said, his eyes twinkling mischievously.

"Dad, he's not a fugitive," Emerald looked at Josie.

"He's my friend."

Josie looked at Emerald and saw that this was true. Even though he had tried to kill her, even though he might have taken both Trinket and Marty, even though he might have mind melted with Bangkok, she still believed in him. She was still his friend.

Bang! Bang! Bang!...

"Open up! Police!"

"Hide him!" Howard whisper-shouted, "And clean up the board and all the research. I'll try to get rid of them."

Howard rushed out of the bedroom and down the hall. He stopped just shy of the door, pressed his scant pieces of hair down on his head, and opened the door. The Barrel was standing there, his mustache jumped like a frog hiding under his nose.

"We are searching for a missing boy..." The Barrel shoved a photo of Marty in his face. Howard noticed how short and fat his fingers were, like little sausages.

"And we're looking for a fugitive. His name is Josie," The Barrel said, thrusting another photo in his face.

Howard pretended to examine each of the photos intensely, pushing his glasses up and down in front of his eyes, as if seeing with them on, and also with them off, mattered.

"Nope...No...can't help you," Howard said, handing the photos back.

"I'll be sure to keep an eye out and let you know if we see anything." Howard said it politely but curtly. He started to close the door.