Part 3

The girl was sitting nervously at her professor’s office, as he checked a few papers, frowning. The old man sighed. “How long has this been happening, Catalina?”

“I’ve been having strong headaches it’s been a few months. I had small nosebleeds but as I have asthma and rhinitis, I didn’t pay much attention to it,” she said “But then I started fainting and the headaches are much worse. First time happened at home. About three months ago.”

“I see,” he muttered.

He turned the paper and read it once again. They both spent a few minutes in silence. Catalina didn’t resist.

“Please tell me, professor Lopez. I know there is something wrong with me.”

“I’ll need to ask for a few more exams to be sure, my dear,” he said patiently “But I won’t lie to you. You are a clever girl and one of my best students. You know what I am thinking.”

She felt a sinking sensation on her stomach.

“I do. That’s why I came to you.”

“Don’t think about it too much now” he advised, putting his hand on her head kindly. “Even if we are right, it will be alright, my dear. Let’s just hope for the best.”

She sighed. “Let’s.”

Professor Lopez gave her a few papers to require for exams, and Catalina thanked and left the room with her head full of thoughts. She walked through the corridors of the university building, without really seeing anyone; so absorbed on her own thoughts, Catalina didn’t notice Ferdinand calling for her.

“Hey! Wait, Cat! Aren’t you listening?”

She looked surprised. “What are you doing here?”

“I got off work earlier. I thought we could go to the movies?” he asked, hopefully.

She looked away “I’m tired, Nando…”

He could not hide his disappointment. “But Cat… It’s been weeks we don’t go out… You don’t even come over to my place anymore! What’s going on? Why are you avoiding me?”

“I’m not avoiding you! I’m just tired, Ferdinand, please, don’t start now…”

He frowned. “Fine, I’ll go with some friends, then…”

Catalina felt suddenly upset”. “Sure. Go out with other people. Take that, what’s her name again?, Juana? Take her and that other, Selma. Go, have fun, leave me alone!”

Ferdinand looked at her, speechless. “Catalina…” he muttered, hurt.

She looked down, her head aching so much she felt it as it was about to explode. “You’ve been cheating on me,” she accused.

He shook his head. “No. I swear.”

“If not, you will.” She said, coldly.

“For the love of God, woman, what’s going on? What’s wrong with you? All you’ve been doing lately is to accuse me of cheating and scolding me! I didn’t do anything, ok? I swear to anything you want! Come on, drop it! I’m sick of you being a bitch!”

Catalina felt her eyes watering up; she hadn’t told Ferdinand anything about the weird sensations she had been feeling for the last months; she just did not want to worry him, at least not at the moment, without being sure. But keeping a secret from him, from her parents, her friends… It was all so stressful, and she had no control on her emotions and her mood would change out of sudden.

“Don’t call me a bitch…” she moaned, failing to stop the tears. Ferdinand put his hand on his forehead, tired and guilty. “Don’t you ever call me that.”

“Sorry…” he sighed “I’m sorry. I’m just stressed. I miss you. I know you’re busy and stressed too.”

She looked at him, his handsome young face looking so frustrated; she felt bad about it. Kindly, Catalina hugged him tightly, passing her fingers through his dark hair. The top of her head would reach his chin, and he gently sniffed her hair. “I’m sorry too,” she whispered.

Astonished by the sudden change of mood of his girlfriend, Ferdinand just held her. “We can go out some other time,” he said. “Promise me you will come to my place this weekend?”

“I promise.”

“Then I forgive you, my pretty wifey,” he smiled.

“Can you drive me home?” she asked.

“Where’s your car?”

“Dad drove me today, I was not feeling well to drive. Headache. I told him I would ask for a ride home or take a cab. But I… uh… went to see Professor Lopez to ask for some books,” she lied without facing him “Sort of lost track of time. I think people are gone by now, and it’s a bit late to take a cab.”

“You don’t have to explain. I’ll drive you home.”

“Stay over?”

He sighed. “Will you be mad if I go with my friends to the movies? I kinda want to see the new Avengers. It’s been two weeks it was released but I was broke.”

Catalina preferred he would stay with her, but she managed to hide her displeasure. “Sure.”

“I’ll stay for a while if you want.”

“Sure,” she repeated, coldly.