13 - Þrettánda

It took us a couple of minutes to get to the university and I was happy to have saved the walk for once.

I was about to get out of the car when Sven stopped me.

I turned to face him and gave him a questioning look.

"Wait a few more minutes. There are people outside," he said calmly looking at the students around the building.

And your point is?

I just crossed my arms and sat there.

"Unless you want people talking about why you're getting out of a car with the new guy?" he said with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes and tried to act cool but I knew he was right. Most people have an uncanny tendency to not mind their own business.

"So," I heard his voice. "Have you found your mate yet?"

I looked outside trying to avoid his gaze.

"Have you felt his presence or anything?" he continued to ask.

I continued to ignore him.

"Hey you okay? Rayne? Hello? I'm talking to you?" he said now shaking my hand lightly.

The students were mostly inside the building or running towards the entrance now. I snatched my hand from his and got out of the car, hurrying towards first class, Soft Computing.

Not many people take this class because the teacher is pretty strict, but I know it would help me later.

Unfortunately for me, I couldn't find a seat without another empty seat beside it.

I quickly decided to sit in the front so that Sven wouldn't be able to bother me too much.

Speak of the devil.

"Aren't you a little old to give me the silent treatment?" he asked sitting down beside me.

I took my notebook and pens out to get ready for class. The teacher walked in and started the lesson right away.

As I was taking down my notes, Sven wrote in my notebook.

You can't avoid me forever.

I sighed and just sat there as his face turned serious. I wrote in his notebook quietly.

You're the one being difficult.

I saw him read the note and he continued to look at the slides as if nothing happened.

When it was time for the next period, he kept sitting in his seat and sighed.

"Rayne, I know you want an explanation for everything. And there are some things that you should know. But I can't tell you here. What I can tell you, however, is that you're not safe on yo-"

"Excuse me?" I interjected.

He looked up to the ceiling in exasperation.

"Rayne! You don't understand! We're here to help you and to protect you. But we can't always follow you around to make sure you're okay!" he says.

"What do you want, Sven?" I asked. I could guess though, his answer.

"I need you to join us. And stay amongst us. Let us help you," he said.

I laughed at him mockingly.

"I've known you for what, like three days? And you come out of no where telling me I'm in danger and that I need to join your Liet band? I'm not trusting you," I retorted.

"Everyone at your older pack thought you were dead. That is, until now. They know you're alive and it's not long before the word spreads. It's not safe for you anymore," he said.

How does he know about this? What else does he know? I don't understand at all.

I looked down at my hands in my lap as tears began to form in my eyes. I wanted to go far away, far from home so no one could be hurt because of me again. And I can't put Sven and his friends in danger either.

"Sven. I can't," I said.

"Seriously Rayne, how thick are you? The Liet aren't all that bad, and we can make some adjustments to suit-"

"It's not that. I don't want anybody to stand for my protection. It doesn't end well for them, and I can't live knowing someone would get hurt because of me. I'm not special," I said to him.

He took my hand from my lap and put it in his own.

"You're more special than you'd ever realize Rayne. You don't get it now but you will. We're not putting ourselves in danger by protecting you. Stay with us, at least for a while, till the situation is settled," he said.

"What 'situation'?" I asked him.

"You do realize that walls have ears?" he said looking around.

"That makes no sense, Sven," I said rolling my eyes.

He put his finger on his lips again and got up.

"We're late. If the professor says something, I'm going to say it was your fault," he said, now at the door.

I took my things and followed him to our next class.

I'm still not convinced.