thirteen

"So, tell me about yourself."

I looked down, my hand holding a warm cup of cappuccino, the heat spreading to my fingers through the cardboard. "I'm always the one talking. What about you share something for a change?" I suggested, momentarily putting the cup down on the bench to braid my hair, that was being blown in my face by the wind.

"Seems fine" Aiden replied. "I have two brothers. One is older and moved out a year ago, the other is younger. I really like to draw. That's it."

"What do you like to draw?" I asked him and took a sip from the cup, wrapping my fingers around it to keep them warm. The weather was slowly starting to become colder and colder as winter approached.

He shrugged. "Don't really have a favourite subject. Birds are fun though. You?"

"People, mostly" I replied. "I don't know why. I just like it. I like to see them kind of 'come alive' on the page, if you get what I mean."

He smiled. "Sure. Hey, mind if I ask something?"

I looked at him. "Not at all."

"Why did you choose those colours? For the second drawing you made."

I shrugged. "That's an odd question to ask. I just thought they fit the drawing."

"The drawing... or him?"

I frowned. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You like him, don't you?" He asked out of nowhere. "I bet you find him interesting, I bet he fascinates you." He sighed, looking down. "It truly is the downside of being an artist. We like beautiful things. It doesn't matter what they are, or who they are, we're attracted to them, and can't stay away. I know that feeling. But a true artist can see the difference between what we want to spend our time on, and what's worth our time."

"Why do you care so much about him?" I asked him.

"I just don't want you to get hurt. He's no good for you" Aiden said.

I sighed, looking down at his words. "You don't even know him. Why are you so sure he isn't good?"

"Because he doesn't know how to be."

"I wish you'd stop trying to talk me out of spending time with him. He is my model, we're bound to spend time together. Nothing else." I stood up and went to throw the empty cup in the bin before sitting down next to Aiden again, annoyance in my actions.

He shrugged. "Sometimes you act weird about him."

I took my phone out of my pocket, pretending to check a text. "Oh, my mother wants me at home" I lied, "Sorry, but I really have to go."

"Aren't you old enough to make your own decisions?" He said confusedly.

"I am, but I still try not to argue with my parents every day. Personal choice. I need to go. It was fun though."

He smiled. "Sure, see you tomorrow!"

I nodded and said goobye, before leaving. Maybe I'd done a mistake in going out with him. I could've just hoped everything would've gone smoothly with Harry on the next day.

• • •

My foot tapped impatiently on the floor as the clock showed it was half past four. Harry was never late. I knew what that meant.

I stood up and got my phone from the tea table, unlocking it fast and dialling Niall's number.

He didn't take too long to pick up the call. "What's up?" He said cheerfully, as if he had no idea of what was going on.