A Dance at Midnight

August 9th, 1902. Westminster Abbey.

“Ah, look who deigned to join us.” Mr. Choate, the United States Ambassador leaned on the side of the pew, rows of medals pinned on his chest. “The Marquis de Soveral.”

Luís Pinto de Soveral made his way through the pew that reserved for foreign dignitaries, which would have held kings and presidents six weeks ago. Indeed, he himself would have attended the proceedings in quite a different fashion, had the King not fallen ill, the entire ceremony postponed. He would have been seated amongst the King's personal friends, the set that gathered regularly at the Marlborough House. Instead, with King Carlos long gone home, he was left to represent the the Kingdom of Portugal.

“I was tasked with finding a Greek prince,” he said, taking his seat next to Mrs. Choate. “He has proven quite elusive.”

Since Greece had no regular ambassador, King George's fourth son had been left behind to fulfil that duty.

“His aunt will be displeased,” said Mr. Choate.

Said aunt now entered the Abbey, dressed in gold and ermine, exquisite music guiding her every step--Queen Alexandra. She looked magnificent, remarkably young for her age.

At that moment, the young Prince Andrew, in his new Hellenic Army cavalry uniform, clambered into the box, mumbling apologies. Several old ambassadors grumbled and rolled their eyes.

The music swelled as the king entered, looking far better than he had after his surgery, but still not quite the way he had been before. From the chancel, closest to the stage, the princesses and their children looked upon the parade, looking magnificent in their crowns and fine gowns. Next to them was a pew, with a row of ladies in finery seated at the front.

Mrs. Choate whispered to her husband. “It's that not wholly indecent?”

Soveral had heard it being called "the loose box", as if referring to a horse race where the horses were not restrained. It was a coarse name, because each of the ladies was intelligent, beautiful and well-married. They were the King's past mistresses, with all of whom he maintained a cordial relationship.

And, of course, seated at the front, catching the King's eye more than once during the ceremony, was Mrs. Alice Keppel, the King's current favourite.

The King was crowned first, by the infirm Archbishop of Canterbury who had to be supported by two other bishops throughout the day. He placed the crown front-to-back on the King's head and had to be helped up by His Majesty himself after bowing for the Crown. The ceremony was not half as long as it should have been, on account of the King's recovery. That was fine by him.

Picture of Alexandra and Edward VII on the day of their coronation

***