Volume 1 Chapter 1 (Part 2)

After three more days of his time with Violet went by, Oscar got on his feet again. What he had gained inspiration for had been a specific scene.

The story Oscar was having Violet write was about the adventures of a lone girl. Said girl, who had left home, visited many lands, came in contact with many people and witnessed many occurrences, thus growing up. The girl's motif was his diseased daughter.

At the end of it all, the girl returned to the home she had parted from. Her father had awaited her there, and could not tell if it was really her, as she had changed so much. The sad girl begged him to remember, reminding him of a promise they had exchanged in the past – to try crossing the lake close to their house by walking on the decayed leaves that fell on the water.

"Humans can't walk on water."

"I just want the image. I'll make the girl be assisted by the blessing she had earned from a water spirit in the middle of her adventure."

"Even so, I'm not cut for this. The girl from the story is vivacious and charmingly innocent. That's unlike everything I am." The Auto-Memories Doll argued.

Oscar had Violet put on clothes that imitated his main character and asked her if she could play around a little at the lakeshore. He had already made her do cleaning, laundry and other house chores, and on top of it, asked for such a favor. It was as if she was a factotum.

Even as Violet was a percipient professional woman, she mused in surprise, "What a troublesome person..."

"Your hair color... may be a little different, but it's blond, just like my daughter was. If you put on a one-piece, surely..."

"Master, I am but a secretary. An Auto-Memories Doll. I'm not your wife or concubine. Nor can I become a replacement."

"I-I know that. I wouldn't have that kind of interest in a girl like you. It's just... your appearance... if my daughter was alive, I think... she'd have grown into someone sort of like that."

Violet's firm rejection crumbled at that.

"I really did think you were being too stubborn... so your young lady has passed away?" she bit her lip lightly. Her face seemed to show her conscience was conflicted.

During these few days, Oscar had become able to understand one thing about her. That is, how Violet would stick to what was considered 'righteous' when she was torn between good or bad things.

"I'm an Auto-Memories Doll... I want to grant my clients' wishes... but this one violates my work regulations..."

She behaved as if she was inwardly wrestling with herself, and although Oscar felt bad for it, he tried one last time. "If you could build the image of the girl as a grown-up, coming back home, ready to fulfill her promise, my will to write will soon be revived. It's true. If you want a reward, I can give anything. I can pay double your original price. This story is really precious to me. I want to finish writing it, and make it my life's milestone. Please."

"But... I... am not a dress-up doll..."

"Then I won't take photos or anything of the sort."

"You had intended to?"

"I'll burn it into my memory, and write the story with just that. Please."

Violet thought it over a little more with a sullen face after that, and wound up complying, losing to Oscar's persistence. She could be the type that became weak when pressured.

Oscar then left behind his life of confinement, went out on his own and bought fancy clothes and an umbrella for Violet. The outfit was a white lace blouse and a ribbon belt over a blue one-piece. The umbrella was cyan and white-stripped, abundant in frills. Violet seemed interested in it, spinning it around after repeatedly opening and closing it.