Chapter 1

Something was wrong. Olivia Anderson knew that before she even tried to open her eyes.
She could hear a small voice whispering and another strong one, trying to do just the same, but failed miserably. She could feel its deep rumble making its way into her veins, like blood pumping from her heart.
She tried to stifle a moan, but her body was too weak to fight anything at the moment, so instead, she focused all her strength in opening her eyes.
But they hurt. Along with her arms, her legs, and her chest.

And she felt tired, so very tired, it made it almost impossible to breathe. Finally, she could make out a small shadow right next to her bed, and shortly after that, a small hand lovingly touched her forehead, a gesture so simple and so gentle, it broke her heart and made it impossible for her to keep her tears away.
She felt them rolling down her temples, and the same hand wiping one away. Luna. She was lost in the darkness once again.

The next time she woke up, she was alone but feeling a bit stronger. She was aware now of a steady beeping close by, even if she was surrounded by darkness. It was nighttime. She fell asleep again, right before the nurse came in to check on her, and missed the pleased smile on the woman's face, after checking her vitals.

The third time she woke up, she felt better, despite nausea and throbbing headache. Her whole body felt weak and sore like she has been trampled on by a train. Or a very big truck.
She was alone again, but she could hear voices just outside her room. Slowly, she turned her head toward them, like asking them to come in, and bring her daughter to her. She could almost swear that if she would have Luna next to her, everything would be alright.

Luna!  Her heart started beating frantically, her eyes scanning every inch of the space surrounding her, trying to find her daughter, her very own reason for living.
Where was she? Where have they taken her? Didn't they know that it was just the two of them, that they had no one? No one else, except for a friend, but she was halfway across the world right now. 
Was Luna ok? Was she fed, clean, was she scared? Where was she?

Panic gripped her chest and made her dizzy and nauseous again, mixing with the chaotic beeping sounds of the computer screens, surrounding her in an overwhelming daze. She knew it wasn't right, that she was way too weak for even thinking of doing it, but she had to pull the needles out, she had to find Luna. Tears started streaming down her face, burning her eyes, her throat was hurting for keeping the sobs at bay. She had to find some strength, but her whole body felt too weak and was protesting against her will of getting out of bead.
She looked down at the needles, fighting against the strips of material holding them in place. She started sobbing, closing her eyes against the desperate feeling she was slowly drowning in.

Her body was in pain, every single inch of it, and she could feel every bruise and scar that made her skin feel a bit too tight. Or maybe those were the bandages. She didn't know. Her head was spinning. The whole room, actually. She tried to open her eyes, to focus, but it was impossible to do so. She was too tired.

Suddenly she became aware of someone at the door making their way in, and her gaze flew over there as fast as she could, anxious to see her daughter.

The door opened and she almost managed to call for her daughter, but her voice was too raspy, she was too weak.
Disappointment flashed painfully in her chest, and she fought against the wave of nausea that was clawing its way back on her. She tried to calm down enough to voice her question.
Grateful for having someone to come in and check on her, despite the fear that rolled over her, she looked up at the plump woman, trying to make her notice the plea in her eyes.

The middle-aged woman must've sensed her despair because she came straight to her, placed her hands on her shoulders to calm her down and said " Your daughter is outside this door, excited to see you. She has been a wonderful kid, waiting patiently for you to get better. I know you are missing her a lot, its easy to see you two have a special bond, but I'm going to need you to try and relax, bear with me for couple more minutes, and then you can see her. I promise. Okay? She's just outside this door."
Olivia nodded, forced herself to let the woman's words sink in. Luna was just outside. She was ok. Both were ok.