Chapter Twenty

ALEXI

The darkness surrounded me.
I could see the outlines of trees and roots but nothing beyond it.
Frowning I held my hands out in front of me as I took slow steps forward. I stumbled slightly but thankfully regained my balance before moving again. A few minutes passed before I saw a light in front of me. Small streams led the path into a large clearing. A full moon shone brightly in the sky but no stars were visible.

Frowning I turned, my eyes trailing around to take in my surroundings. The clearing was bare of everything expect for perfectly groomed green grass. Large trees surrounded me blocking everything outside the woods off. It was completely silent with no breeze or any sound.

"Hello?" I yelled, hearing the word echoing around me.

"They can't help you."

A gasp fell from my lips as a dark figure slowly appeared from the treeline. It was tall, a black cloak surrounding the large body with a blue pendant standing out against the darkness.

"Who are you?"

"Who I am, is not of your concern Alexi," he stopped a few feet from me staring silently.

"Then what do you want?" My voice trailed off. He laughed taking a small step forward.

"So many questions. You know, I can hear your mind racing with each and everyone of them." 

I jumped back as he suddenly moved making me stumble over something. Swallowing, I looked down my eyes widening as I saw the body.

"No," the cry fell from my lips before I could stop it. I crawled forward.

Slade laid helplessly on the ground. His skin pale and blood pooling from a wound against his torso.

"You could have saved him, you know." I looked up at the figure. "He was waiting for you to save him, but instead you killed him."

The air change making the hair at my nape rise. Another body appeared a few feet away, beaten and clawed.

"Fury." I gripped his shoulders shaking him but I got no reaction.

His shirt was ripped exposing the deep, bleeding scars on his torso. My eyes fell on his neck staring at the two holes there.

"He fought for you," the man said softly, from behind me. "Until his last breath, but you were too late."

"No." Tears fell from my eyes as I leaned my head against his chest.

No! I didn't kill them! It wasn't my fault, I didn't kill them!

"They all fought for you, but you turned on them." More bloodied bodies appeared around us. "You killed them."

I could hear the pained cries of all of them filling my head, the snarls and cries off wolves along with other creatures. Cries of woman and children asking for help.

"All their blood seeping into the ground. Feeding us. Think about all the families you killed, all the innocent babies."

"No!" I screamed up at him, the tears slowly drying on my cheeks. "I did not kill them."

The cloaked figure said nothing as he turned walking back to the trees and disappearing into the darkness. He left me alone with the dead bodies and the smell of death hanging heavily in the air.

* * * *

"No!" I cried out, sitting up. My eyes darted around taking on the familiar bedroom.

The lamp beside my bed still glowed faintly casting shadows over the walls. I dropped back onto the bed running a shaky hand over my face. Wetness clung to my skin. I'm crying. Crying because of a dream I had. Fear filled me and without a second thought, I threw back the covers racing out of my room. The halls were dark but the flickering light from the living room drew my attention. 

I sighed in relief. My heartbeat slowed as I stared at Fury. He seemed totally focused on the show he was watching. I glanced around but didn't spot Slade anywhere. He must be sleeping. When I glanced back at Fury I was surprised to find him watching me.

"Umm, hi," I muttered, feeling heat rise up my cheeks.

His lips twitched, "Hi."

I hesitated slightly, but after a second I moved towards him. Stopping next to the couch, I glanced at the TV then back at him.

"Can't sleep?" Fury questioned softly.

"I had a bad dream," I said, taking a seat on the other end of the couch.

He nodded, studying me silently. I shifted uncomfortably. My eyes trailed down taking in his bare chest and sweatpants. His pale skin fascinated me.

"It's part of being a vampire," he suddenly said. My eyes snapped up to his. "I was kept locked up inside a small cell. No windows or anything to let some sunlight in. We weren't allowed outside at all because they feared we would escaped."

"Don't you tan now when you're in the sun?"

"No," he paused, searching for words. "The tan faded from my skin the longer I was locked up. By that time I was rescued they had already changed me."

Leaning forward, I took hold of his hand that laid fisted on his thigh. I placed it on my lap, slowly opening his fingers. Using my forefinger, I traced forms on his palm. I could feel his eyes burning into the top of my head but I refused to look at him.

"Why did they kidnap you?"

As the time stretched I thought he wasn't going to answer me. Fury sucked in a shaky breath making me eyes move to his. His were closed and head leaned against the back of the couch. I saw a shiver run through his body. But just as I opened my mouth to speak, he spoke.

"I was trying to find you," he said softly, I had to lean closer to hear.  "I believed that I could trace you down, that you had been reborn after you died the second time. I refused to listen to reason from anyone so I took off in the middle of the night. I knew that if I left in the morning that Slade would come with me. So,  I snuck out and left. I spend about a week going from town to town before I was kidnapped. It happened turning the day, I was talking to a man when I felt the prick in my neck. Everything faded and when I woke up I was chained to the wall in a cell," he gave me a half smile. "That's all I'm willing to tell you, the other shit that happened will be too much for you to handle."

"I'm sorry," I whispered, swallowing the lump that had formed in my throat.

Closing his fingers around mine, he lifted it to brush his lips across my knuckles.

"It wasn't your fault princess. What happened was my own fault, I'm the only one to blame."

"Why aren't there any...sparks when we touch?"