Chapter 148: Riya

Rick stood outside the supply room, leaning against the wall. He was whistling to himself when the three left the room and came out to find him. His face lit up upon seeing them, and he clapped his hands together with delight.

"Perfect, you're all ready to go," he exclaimed.

"Go where?" Ardwen asked.

"To your reunion of course," Rick replied, immediately beginning the walk down the hall, clearly expecting the trio to follow him. Eventually, reluctantly, they did. "Lady Riya will just be so excited to see all of you, I'm glad she made it back."

"About that," Porter cut in, speeding up his walk to catch up to Rick and walk alongside him. He instantly felt a rush to his head and a sharp pain suddenly shot through the side of his knee, but he pressed through. "Did anyone else come in with her? I mean, you're saying Riya just got here, right?"

"Right."

"And she's alone?"

"Aside from a couple other employees who were with her, yes," Rick answered. He gestured to the side and the group turned down another hall as they continued their way through the maze of the building. "She wasn't out to pick anyone up or anything like that."

"Somebody she's with then," Porter mumbled to himself before dropping back slightly. He felt Sigma's hand behind him, gently pushing on his back. It would keep him moving forward, otherwise he would be stumbling and drop behind.

"I'm sure she can't wait to see all of you," Rick continued, chattering away at the front. "I mean, we always talk about all of you, and where you might be, what you're up to. Lots of memories to go over, always lots of memories. It's a good discussion over some tea. So much tea. I remember, there was this one time-"

"I can imagine," Ardwen said, ending Rick's chatter mid-thought. "Sounds like quite a time. Obviously, both of us can't wait to see her again either."

"Both of us?" Sigma asked. "Do I not count?"

"Oh right, well I mean it's just...with school and all." Ardwen put out his best smile for forgiveness but got nothing in response from Sigma. Just a blank stare. Porter snickered beside them, trying his best to keep from passing out. The pain in his leg was driving him crazy more than anything, begging him to stop and just let it rest. It wasn't ready to be moving like this.

"Yes, I'm sure she'll be very happy." Rick took over the conversation once again, directing them into the grand office they had first met in. As soon as they were in, he was gone down the hall, presumably to seek out Riya. Porter immediately grabbed the closest chair, in front of the desk and settled in. He felt his entire body relax, slumping down as he nearly passed out in his rush to rest.

There was a gentle pressure on the front of his brain though, a reminder of the existence that was stalking the hallways. It hadn't gone away yet, just a pressure that exerted itself on the space. He was confident that Ardwen couldn't sense it, based on his knowledge of him as a fighter and his attunement with his Goliath. It was possible Sigma could, but it was simply more likely he was aware of everything in the building, alive or mechanical, and knew what had arrived. It was an entirely different question if he knew the threat that it contained and the strangeness of its chi.

"Anyone else have a headache?" Ardwen said, rubbing at his temples. "I think the weather up here might be getting to me."

"Me too," Porter replied. There was his answer. Exposure to his battlesuit had certainly given Ardwen the ability to feel the difference in the energy around him, but he clearly wasn't aware of what it specifically was. After all, much of the chi training that had been administered to the group hadn't been given to Ardwen. He had always spent his time studying strategy and construction. He could tell you everything about how they put an engine together to make a Goliath run, but very little about what it felt like when Porter threw out a bolt of lightning. Raul was similar.