Chapter Seven: A Deal

Vincent followed the onboard GPS in his sedan toward Bergstad, driving straight through the day and stopping only when the sun went down to let Gideon out of the trunk. The tall vampire unfolded himself from the cramped quarters he had been subjected to in order to get to the manor as quickly as possible. Gideon relieved Vincent of his duty behind the wheel, allowing the exhausted, worried, and wounded man to fade in and out of a restless sleep in the passenger seat until they finally reached Allender Manor an hour shy of midnight.

    The outside of the manor was lit with anticipation of Gideon's arrival. He had called earlier to ensure the others that he would be arriving soon, with a person who would was in  need of Gale's special gift. Gideon was helping Vincent get out of the car when the front door of the manor opened and Amanda rushed out to meet him.

    "Who is this?" Amanda inquired as she watched Gideon gently pull a moaning Vincent from the car.

    "Someone who needs our help," he answered, causing Amanda to cock a suspicious eyebrow at his limited response. 

    Amanda decided not to question Gideon further considering the urgency of the matter at hand. She turned back to the manor and left Gideon and Vincent with,"Come on then, everyone's gathered in the dining hall. We've got some troubling news about Corbin and Lydia."

    Gideon led Vincent into the manor, restraining his pace to match that of Vincent's hurting stride. Even in his wounded state Vincent had noticed the similarities between Gideon and Amanda, with their moonlight complexions and eerily captivating grey eyes being tell-tale signs of their vampiric nature to a suspecting mind. He waited for her head start into the manor to get her out of sight before he looked at Gideon and said,"She's like you, isn't she?"

    Gideon looked at Vincent with a bit of surprise at his keen perception. "Yes," he replied openly. "There will be much to be explained here Vincent, if we are to come to the aid of those who need us most right now," he implied, meaning that all secrets would have to come to light.

    Vincent nodded his understanding.

    When they finally made it to the dining hall, those assembled at the table with half-eaten snacks and constantly refilled coffee cups, which fueled their sleep deprived bodies and worried minds, rose to acknowledge Gideon; but their stares fell instantly upon the beaten stranger at his side who was cradling his injured arm. Gale was the first to approach Gideon, while Shade and Ethan observed curiously with Amanda.

    Tossing a fleeting glance at Vincent, who kept to himself in his quiet pain and agony, Gale ignored his presence to give Gideon the latest information on Corbin and Lydia. Fidgeting with worried hands, she revealed,"We've received a message from Lydia."

    "Oh?" Gideon responded with a tone of great interest.

    "It appears that she and Corbin have been taken to some unknown location where they're being held, by someone she believes is Jarell," she disclosed, bravely holding back a fearful expression.

    "Jarell...how can that be?" Gideon uttered under his astonished breath as he staggered off to himself in disbelief for a moment, needing a minute to compose himself under the light of such dreadful news.

    "And their's someone else with them, a person named Sara," she added.

    The mention of Sara's name animated Vincent, whose eyes widened expectantly as he stepped up to Gale. "Sara! Is she alright? Where are they?" he asked excitedly.

     Gale studied Vincent cautiously, then looked to Gideon. "Who is this person Gideon? Why have you brought him here?"

    Everyone in the room waited for the answer, and Gideon took the silent moment to gather his thoughts in order to take charge of the situation. He turned to Gale with a deep breath and took her caringly by her shoulders. He spoke directly to her, but intended his words for everyone gathered.