0.1

Maddie //

I lay in bed lost out the window, watching the droplets spill down the glass. My fingertips are red from the nipping temperature of this room. I have my headphones in, listening to music that explains my feelings almost perfectly. Which is pretty corny, but it's all I feel up to doing right now. It's been around a week since my fathers funeral. Everyday it feels as if he could walk through my bedroom door and hug me tightly, just like he used to. Now that he's gone I'm left with my mom, who doesn't give a shit about me at all. The only thing she seems to care even slightly about is her job.

I notice the weather get worse and more droplets start to smash into my window. I check the clock and it's 7am, I didn't sleep at all last night. I take a deep breathe and get out of bed, which I haven't done in a week. Today is the day I go back to school and it's going to be absolute shit.

-

I walk downstairs and prepare for an awkward confrontation with my mom. I haven't spoken to her in weeks, a month maybe. She's sitting on the couch staring at the black tv screen, her blonde hair looks dull and her eyes look lost like she's stuck in another world inside her head.

"Hey, mom." I almost force out.

She looks over at me and almost immediately looks away, fidgeting her fingers and sighing loudly. People always told me I look just like my dad, which I never really took as a compliment.

"Have fun at school." She whispers, avoiding eye contact with me.

"I won't guarantee I will." I say while walking towards the door.

I get outside and the rain has cleared up some, occasionally I feel a raindrop hit me on the shoulder or the top of my head.

My dad used to drive me to school everyday, we'd play the radio loud and sing along to whatever song was playing. Now I'm walking there and I feel naked as all of the cars pass me. I wish I could just go back for a moment and change things so he would still be here, but sadly things don't work like that and I wish they did.

-

I walk into the hallway and I can feel everyone staring at me. I get to my locker and right as I'm opening it, it's slammed shut by Calum who's one of my best friends.

"Hey there gloomy why don't you smile some? You're making me feel like I'm stuck in some sad movie." He says, pressed against my locker.

"You know why I'm sad. Can I please get to my locker?" I try to push Calum out of the way but it's almost impossible.

"I'm not going anywhere until you smile, and it has to be a real one." He smirks at me and crosses his arms.

"I'm have no reason to smile, please just let me open my locker." I push Calum's arm and he pretends to fall to the ground. I roll my eyes and open my locker, getting everything I need for the next couple of periods.

"God you've gotten strong Maddie." He says, rubbing his arm and acting like I actually hurt him, "You may have bruised my bone."

"I hope I did." I smile at him and he smiles back, pushing a lingering hair out of my face.

"There's that gorgeous smile I've been dying to see." He grabs me and pulls me in for a tight hug.

"Thanks for bringing it out of me Cal." I say, my face pressed against his chest.

Calum and I are bestfriends, but we did date for a couple of months around a year ago. We never really had a reason to break up, I guess we just felt better as friends.

The bell rings and we step back from each other. I look around and people are still staring, I don't know if it's because of what happened or if it's because me and Calum just hugged for 2 minutes.

"Well I guess I'll see you at lunch." Calum says, punching me on the shoulder slightly.

"See ya." I say, punching him back.

-

"Do you want your sandwhich?" Michael asks me as soon as I sit down.

"Michael she hasn't been to school in weeks and that's the first thing you say to her?" Grace bitches at him.

Michael sighs, "Sorry, I missed you. Want your sandwhich?"

"I missed you too, and sure." I laugh and throw my sandwhich on his tray.

There was an awkward silence at the table for a while, I guess the fact my dad died really puts a wall around me.

I look around the room and notice a guy sitting at a table alone, "Who's he?" I nodd in the guys direction.

"That's Ashton, he's in my bio class." Michael says with a mouth full of fries.

"Do you think he's cute or something?" Calum sits down beside me, nudging me with his shoulder.

"No, I just wanted to know who he was that's all. Is he new?" I question, Still looking at Ashton.

"Yeah he came a little after you left to.. Uh take a break." Michael says, fries still in his mouth.

"Oh." I say. I realize that I can't take my eyes off of Ashton. Even if I'm looking at him from a distance I could easily spot out his shaggy hair and cutting jawline. I could also point out the fact that his hands looked like they would cover my whole face. I keep staring, mesmerized by him. Suddenly he looks over at me, I can now see his hazel eyes perfectly. He smiles at me then slightly bites his lips.

"Hi." he mouths across the room.

"Hi." I mouth back, my face turning red and body getting warm. I look away and back to my friends, who were all watching what just happened.

"What the hell was that?" Grace questions.

"I don't really know." I look back over at Ashton, who still had his eyes on me.

-

I kinda ship Maddie and Calum together right now idk.

This was sorta short and boring but it had to be done.