lesson #1 - Crafting the Perfect Antagonist

❝A story is only as good as its villain

A story is only as good as its villain.

* * *

At some point in your writing journey, this thought must have crossed your mind. If it hasn't, no worries! We're here to explain it to you. Welcome to Lesson 1: Crafting the Perfect Antagonist

Who is the antagonist, and why are they so important?

The antagonist is the driving force of your story. They're the one causing the problems, they're the reason the hero exists. A good villain puts up a big fight and makes a good story, while a weak villain doesn't allow for high stakes and grand endings. Believe us, if you want an eye-popping story that will capture your reader's attention, you're going to want an excellent villain.

The types of villains and what they want.

Any movie, book—or comic buff—knows that there's no universal formula for any type of character, and villains are no exceptions. The most important aspect of a villain is their motivation. Why are they doing what they are doing? What do they hope to gain? Are they willing to change, or are they immovable objects?

Let's run through some well-known examples so you understand some of the kinds of villains:

The Jokers (Chaotic Evil):

Ah, the clown prince of crime. The Joker is a prime example of a chaotic villain: he blows things up, he's not afraid to cause a commotion during a funeral parade, he's willing to convince girls to jump into vats of chemicals, and he does it all with a smile.

A quote from Alfred Pennyworth from The Dark Knight (2008) sums up the Joker's motivation perfectly: "Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

The Joker is doing this because he wants to; he can't gain anything and he can't lose anything. He believes all people are monsters, so what's the harm in a little fun? No remorse, no regret, just pure fear and chaos. Even if this kind of villain dies, even if they end up in jail, they've succeeded if they've caused even a little a harm and ticked off the hero.