Maddock

Part One- Maddock

The sun was only just beginning to rise, but Nyxlynn had been awake for an hour or so. She loved watching her tent slowly lighten from a pitch black to a warm orange hue. It wasn't just watching the sun that amused her though. She adored being able to see her loving mate Maddock as he lay sleeping nestled beside her. He always looked so peaceful and happy like that.

As the sun rose, she would snuggle her head in and listen for him to do the same before sighing in his sleep. As he sighed, his body would melt further into hers, and his warmth would keep the morning chill at bay. She loved his warmth and the comfort it brought. What she especially loved was listening to his heartbeat and the sound of him softly breathing before she would fall asleep.

Nyxlynn always found herself examining his features during the quiet hours of the morning. In his wolf form, he was large especially in the shoulders. His fur was a dark midnight black, which was soft and sleek. He had a couple of scars all from fighting. There was a small line across his snout where fur refused to grow. Part of his left ear had a small nick in it. The most beaten up were his legs, which had several scars where other Wrivriens had gnawed on them. Despite the scars, he was perfect to her. Every scar told a story, and her own scars did the same.

One of her favorite things to admire was his sleeping quirks. She enjoyed watching his ears as they twitched every now and then, or how his long snout would randomly crinkle up when he was dreaming. Every morning was the same, and yet she always looked forward to it.

Maddock had always been very kind to her and she was so lucky to have him. Most wrivriens weren't so lucky. When a female comes of age in a wrivrien pack, not only do the males get to pick them, they must only mate with someone of their specific class. In packs there are two classes, the Hotanas and the Kotas. Hotanas are the stronger of the two. They hunt, scout, and in cases of war they fight or protect. Kotas are the weaker wolves. They spend most of their time gathering, watching the young, or doing small tasks like fishing or farming.

Maddock and Nyxlynn met when they were children. Growing up, Maddock had always made it clear that he liked Nyxlynn. Unfortunately for Maddock, Nyxlynn didn't feel the same way until they had already gone through the testing that determined which class they would be in. Both of them were deemed Hotanas' and eventually when the time came, Maddock chose her as his mate. He had to fight off a few other males, but he managed to keep her and they had been a team ever since. As the years went by, Nyxlynn continued to fall in love with him more and more, though love wasn't an important thing to most Wrivriens. Mating was meant to be purely about gaining a teammate who would benefit you and give you more power within the pack. That's why Nyxlynn counted herself so lucky. Her love for Maddock was undeniable. She could spend the rest of her life just with him and be happy.

Nyxlynn laid in silence beside her best friend. She watched and daydreamed until Maddock began to stir a bit. Her cheeks warmed slightly when he looked at her. His eyes were soft and a bit groggy, but they seemed to say, 'Goodmorning' in their own quiet way.

Nyxlynn only replied with a soft wag of her tail before snuggling her nose into his chest. She didn't want to get up! All they ever did was get up! She didn't move but felt another flutter of warmth in her chest as he laid his head on top of hers for a couple minutes. They both knew what they had to do. Getting up was inevitable. They had done it for the last five years and they would have to do it again. Maddock was the first to rise and shift into his less comfortable human form. All at once, his warmth had left her and he was making his way out of their tent. She didn't mind his human form one bit though. As a Hotanas he was well built. His skin tone was a nice olive color like hers, and he had thick black hair grown out his shoulders. His face was stubbled with a short well kempt beard that Nyxlynn often fiddled with. Maddock's eyes were her favorite thing though. He had beautiful soft green eyes that seemed to look straight through her. Maddock smirked at her, interrupting his thoughts he asked, "Don't you have some training to do with your men today?" Nyxlynn let out a low whimper as she laid on her side in protest. "Fighting it won't help you any." He couldn't help but smile at her a moment, "Stop acting so adorable I need to actually get stuff done today!"