Pushing Matters Again

6/21/09 – morning.

I couldn’t believe it; I had actually kissed Rosaline Kate Harman and it had been amazing. I managed to maintain a decent level of anger before leaving her room, but once the door was closed, my legs were jelly and I couldn’t breathe. I wanted so badly to go back into her room and kiss her again, but I knew that it would be “another sign of weakness” and she would only use it against me. I wanted her to come to me and I wanted her to never leave again after that explosion of a kiss, but I knew that given her volatile personality, it would be a while before she’d even be her kind of nice to me again. It was [I]so[/I] worth it though and whilst I tossed and turned, it was the thought of that kiss that had kept me awake.

That was why, when someone knocked on my door at stupid o’clock, I was barely able to drag myself from the tangled sheets to answer it.

“Rozzie, what is it?” I mumbled, rubbing the crust from my eyes.

“We have to go. We have a mission.” I loved how this girl could act like nothing happened. The only thing that gave her away was the extra coldness in her tone; almost like it was reserved for me.

I knew that there was no sense in wasting time; that it would only annoy her more. So, I pulled my clothes on and ran my fingers through my shaggy hair before moving from the room and down the winding staircase that I knew only too well. The other agents were already hard at work, most sitting at their assigned stations but a few were walking around, discussing their findings and their ideas. Roz was perched near the door that led to the garage and I paused to smile at her appearance. I was so used to seeing her clad entirely in black that it was weird seeing her ready for a civilian mission. She was dressed in navy skinny jeans, black flat boots and an emerald green vest that fit her perfectly. Her leather jacket was slung over her shoulder and her wavy hair cascaded down her back; anyone on the street wouldn’t even know how deadly she was, but I knew that somewhere on her body there was an arsenal of weapons just waiting for the right crisis to be unleashed.

“Hurry up already.” She threw me a glare and I realised that I had stopped walking and was now just staring at the brunette who narrowed her eyes at me and then turned to walk to the garage, expecting me to follow her like some obedient pet.

And damn it, I did.

The city was busy as ever and Roz’s temper seemed to grow the longer she was in a crowd. I feared for the safety of the teenagers who lurked on the sidewalk and repeatedly got in her way.

“So, what’s the mission?” I asked her quietly.

“We are infiltrating a meeting with some of the lesser members of the presidential party. They will be the easiest to crack and the perfect starting place to get closer to the original conspirators.” She explained, sidestepping a rogue jock who almost fell into her.

“Why would they be meeting here of all places?”

“Because it’s less suspicious. They are aware that Joe’s team will be after them, they just don’t have any idea as to who they messed with.” The anger was there, the passion was there…this was going to be a day to remember, that was for sure.

“So what’s the plan? We sneak in there and bug the place? Kidnap one of them and I’ll take his place?”

“Try ‘going in there and raising hell’.”

“Huh?”

She didn’t answer, but instead turned up a side alley, making sure that no one saw before smashing down a door with one strong, swift kick. I could hear the voices of panic and confusion inside but there was no time to share their shock as Roz was already springing to life.