xvi

author's recommendation - play epiphany whilst reading.

jimin stood in front of jeonggguk

jimin stood in front of jeonggguk. after the three days that the brunette was missing, jimin was finally seeing him again.

the blonde tightly gripped the gift he had brought to greet the younger with.

"h-hey gukkie..." he trailed off tentatively. the familiar and loved nickname rolled off of his tongue in an unfamiliar and hated tone — whilst succeeding in bringing tears to his eyes.

"i missed you. i-i bought smeraldos... your favourites."

holding the bouquet in one hand and an umbrella in the other, jimin knelt down to lay the pretty flowers against the grave's headstone.

the small boy abruptly burst into tears — wailing, choking sobs.

"y-you weren't s-su-supposed to- to go! w-we should've... should've gro-grown old t-toge-together... n-no. i should've p-paid mo-more attention t-to how you- you actually felt!"

inhaling deeply, he attempted to pull himself together.

"they say that there's five stages of g-grief. denial, anger, bargaining, d-dep-depression and-and acceptance...

i can't accept this gukkie. i-i could never be angry at you. i-i'm angry at me."

it was lucky - so to speak - that jimin was already sat down, otherwise he would've collapsed at this point.

"i-i'm j-just so empty and co-cold in here!" he, whilst pointing at his chest, exclaimed hysterically.

"it hurts, jeongguk! b-but i know that it's nothing compared to what you felt... and that? that hurts even more."

jimin paused to wipe his steady-flowing tears and a sad smile made it's way onto his face.

"you know, i was originally going to confess to you the night that you- y-you-" the broken boy shook his head to clear the negative thoughts that threatened to drown him, having promised himself to focus on the positive.

"i guess i'll say it now. i love you, jeon jeongguk. i'm sorry that i wasn't enough. i'm sorry that i couldn't help. i hope- i hope you're at peace now."

he stood up slowly and shakily turned round to face the dull grave one last time.

"sweet dreams, jeonggukkie. fly with the angels."

this happened often within humanity — the regret was stronger than the gratitude.

jimin should've been more meticulous

END