CHAPTER 22

I was reluctant to return to work and unwilling to share with anyone in town my daydreams of Yoshie, which were filled with thoughts of happiness and joy. A definite change had come over me, and I knew people would take notice and want me to share why, but that was impossible.  I did share my news with the only two people I could confide in: Jake and my mother. Jake told me, “Way to go!” while my mother expressed her sentiment in a more mature manner.

“Is she your Henry?” she asked.

I breathed deeply. “She is.”

I knew my mother was smiling on the other end of the line. “Then don’t let anything come in between you two. I can hear in your voice how happy you are. Enjoy it, son. I’m so thrilled that you found her.”

After Yoshie returned from Hiroshima, she told me she needed to spend time with her parents. “Not being there since I’ve been off from work will make them suspicious,” she explained on Monday in the Yakuba hallway. “I need to go home for dinner over the next couple of days. But I promise it won’t last long.”

In her absence, I sought refuge in my apartment or at Handa Sushi Bar around the corner from where I lived.  My emotions were erratic. I felt elation at how wonderful Yoshie was, how much we’d connected emotionally and physically, and distress over the fact that we could not express our feelings in the open and that our time together was rationed.

            The TV spots I worked on with Jake caused a positive stir. The people of Hiroshima were beginning to ask more questions about Hongo and were beginning to travel to explore our sleepy little town. Shopkeepers and restaurant owners saw a boom in business.  

            “David, your work has improved since the first spot you did,” Jake said when I spoke to him one morning while school was still on summer break.  We were on a conference call with Doi-sensei and a couple of other executives from the television station. “The segments have generated a tremendous amount of interest in Hongo and the games. People have purchased tickets for several of the events. My favorite was the exposé you did on the children who recited the alphabet and sang ‘It’s a Small World.’ There’s been a great deal of good feedback from the public about the international influence the children are receiving at such an early age. I want you to know that we all appreciate your hard work. And I know that you still have the potential to be great.”

            “Thanks.” Humbled by his words of praise, I could not remark further and only sat there like a bumbling idiot.

            “Now we have some ideas for the future spots,” Jake continued. “The airport will open in the next couple of months, so I thought you could do a feature on the hotel and the botanical garden first, the bicycle race track next, and then one on the airport itself. Let’s spread out the features.”

            “Is there going to be coverage of the opening ceremonies?”

            “We will have a crew out there that night so you can enjoy the festivities.”

            “Perfect.”

            We concluded our conference call, and as we hung up, Jake said he would call me in a few minutes at my desk.