тwenтy-тwo

THE TRUCK ALMOST hadn't made it into the back of the boat. The back wheels trod water, not having enough friction, but Claire shifted gears and it flew up the ramp and into the cargo hold. Owen, Franklin, and Ally had all been thrown backward when the redhead stomped the brakes, hard.

Ally sat up in the back of the covered truck and watched as the volcanic flow encroached on the dock. A minute longer on land and they would have been dead. Suffocated by volcanic gases and burned by hot ash.

A long and solemn cry came from the dock. Emerging from the ejecta and standing at the end was an Apatosaurus. Ally could make out the vague white mark on the underside of her neck that distinguished her from the others. It was Sue.

Owen realized that only seconds after she had screamed. He clamped his hand over her mouth and pulled her back into his chest. No one could know they had managed to get onboard.

Sue had been left behind and the cloud of ash was closing in around her.

Ally pried his hand away. "We have to go back!" She cried, darting forward before the cargo door that had begun to shut. When he gripped onto her arm, she looked back, hurt and betrayed even if she knew there was nothing that could be done.

The lone Apatosaurus stood up on her hind legs and let out a heart-shattering cry. Somewhere aboard the ship, Pat echoed the cry. That made it worse. "We-" a solemn hush fell over her as the cloud fully engulfed the Apatosaurus, leaving behind only a dark silhouette set against a cloud of grey and red.

 "We-" a solemn hush fell over her as the cloud fully engulfed the Apatosaurus, leaving behind only a dark silhouette set against a cloud of grey and red

"Ally," Owen shook his head and tried to bring her attention away from what was happening. "Ally, baby, listen to me," he couldn't stop his voice from shaking. Seeing her in this state of distress was breaking his heart all over again. "It's too late." She shook her head and let out a strangled sob. "We can't go back."

Owen pulled her into his chest, wrapping both his arms around her and rocked with the swell of the waves. The cargo door closed and there was silence. "We can't go back," he whispered, voice hoarse.

Claire climbed into the back of the truck and took off a green trucker hat. "Ally," the redhead started. Owen was still holding her in an iron embrace. Her shoulders were shaking. The last couple of hours hadn't felt real. They had passed in a haze, or at least they had for Claire Dearing. "I'm so sorry." It didn't seem fair that Ally had lost so many of the Apatosauruses she'd cared for.

Alysanne Sattler worked her way out of Owen's embrace and wiped the dampness on her cheeks away with the back of her hand. She may have lost one of her girls, but that didn't mean Owen had to lose his. Blue was somewhere on the ship, still injured. "We should find Blue," she whispered. They followed the sound of an animal in distress, staying low and close to the trucks and cargo containers.

Zia Rodriguez was alone in the shipping container, pressing a bloody piece of fabric down on where the raptor had been shot and listening to her heartbeat. "Oh my god!" Zia exclaimed, pulling the stethoscope from her ears when the four of them slipped through the canvas enclosure. "You guys are alive!" Owen quickly raised his finger to his lips and the paleoveterinarian quieted immediately.