8 | A Mutual Interview

I had to admit, it felt pretty good seeing the look of rage on Chloe's face when I'd told her about the reason behind my resignation

I had to admit, it felt pretty good seeing the look of rage on Chloe's face when I'd told her about the reason behind my resignation. The feeling of pride carried me through the rest of the day, all the way to when it was time to meet with Emily.

By the time I made it out of my last period, the hallways were already thinning out. Most students were rushing by me, hurrying to their buses or cars, hoping they'd get out of the parking lot fast enough to beat the after-school traffic. I took the stairwell near my class to the first floor and hurried to the art hallway, where I could see Emily standing outside our meeting point.

I gave a small smile as I walked up, somehow not put off by the lukewarm head nod I received in return.

"We can't use the room," she greeted, barely raising up the grocery bag she was holding at her side, its plastic rustling at the motion. Her other hand held a stack of large construction paper in different colors. "But I got supplies before Mrs. Benson had to leave— I would've texted you, but I just found out myself."

"No sweat." I shrugged, watching the way her posture just barely seemed to relax at the words. "You wanna work at my place?"

There was a beat of silence where she looked me over. "You have a car?" The question was clearly more out of curiosity than anything else, her voice giving no indication of being impressed.

I nodded, and she pursed her lips.

"How big is the trunk?"

My eyebrows raised, mouth falling open to answer the question despite my lack of knowing what to say. "I- Well, I guess it's... big? I was planning to let you sit up front with me, though." The joke left my lips just as I began to rethink it.

To my surprise a grin slowly broke out on her face, her head shaking at the remark. "Funny. I have a bike, you think it'll fit?"

"Probably," I said, thinking of the old car and its wide rear. "Where is it?"

"Bike rack near the student parking lot," she answered, starting to walk in the direction of the double doors at the end of the hall. I followed, matching her stride, the school quiet save for the sound of our footsteps and a few distant voices. We headed outside, the slight breeze gently moving Emily's hair behind her and sending a draft through my Letterman jacket.

"You mind holding these?" she asked, holding out the papers.

I took them and watched as she strode over to the bike rack, kneeling next to a dark green bike and grabbing the lock it was connected to. She unlocked it and walked it over, the plastic bag still rustling at her side, filling the silence as we strolled to my car.

I hurried ahead to the blue door of the driver's side, shoving the key in to unlock it, pulling open the door, and setting the papers inside before leaning over to press the trunk button, hearing it pop open behind me.