dieciocho

On a beer run at the liquor store, Tatiana invited herself by jumping into the front seat of the cherry red impala. "So you're just not gonna put a shirt on?" Looking down at her outfit, sweatpants and a sports bra, Tatiana shrugged and put her seatbelt on.

"You know you like it." Tatiana teased, poking Oscar's cheek as he pulled the car away from the sidewalk.

"You're fucking weird." Oscar told her, but she caught the smile that graced his lips.

It wasn't until a few minutes later that the car came to a halt and parked in front of the store. "Hola, Pedro." Tatiana greeted the old man. With the amount of times she's come into the store for food since she was 12, the two have gotten used to frequently seeing each other.

"Hola, mija. We just restocked on the candy." He informed her, completely ignoring the fact that she walked in with a Santos gangleader.

"I'm getting some snacks."

Tatiana left Oscar to walk to the beer section alone and went to the chip aisle where she contemplated her decision like she always does. Minutes later, she met up back with Oscar with bags of chips in one hand and some candy in the other.

The two went in line and waited for their stuff to be rung up. "Tatiana?" Turning around, both Tatiana and Oscar were confused at the unknown man behind them. "I thought you moved to Chiapas?"

"Do I know you?" Tatiana was beyond confused at this point as to who the man was and how he knew about Chiapas since that's where most of her family came from.

Oscar stood off to the side protectively and watched the man with squinted eyes to see if he was going to pull something. He may not have looked like it, but he was ready to kick some ass if he needed to.

"You don't remember me? I've been talking to your mother about you for the past 17 years since she kicked me out."

With an awkward chuckle, Tatiana replied back, "I think you have the wrong Tatiana. I never met my father because he walked out and I haven't seen my mother for the past 8 years."

"No, you're Tatiana Ramos. I-I have pictures." He scrambled to get his wallet from his pocket and opened it to show her, and Oscar, what he was talking about.

The first picture was a man and a woman, who looked exactly like her mother before drugs, and a baby. They were standing in front of a house with a "Sold" sign and a moving truck off to the side. The baby look only a few months old, but right away, both Oscar and Tatiana could tell it was Tatiana from the countless times her abuela showed her baby pictures.

The next picture was a baby with a slice a cake on a plate and on her face. The "1" candle on the tray was off to the side while the same man from the first picture was right beside the baby. The little girl had a smile plastered on her face as she touched the man's nose with her cake-filled fingers and he had a smile just as big to match hers.

"I had more, but your mom wouldn't let me have them." He said as Tatiana continued to stare at the pictures in shock and disbelief. Over her shoulder, Oscar looked at the pictures, trying to find a reason to make this guy a liar, but the pictures were real. They even had the time stamps and old writing on the back that people used to do way back when. "I carry them around because they're the only things I have left of you."

Tati shook her head and continued to look down at the pictures. She didn't even realize that the three of them were the only customers left in the liquor store. "I don't get it. Why did she tell me you ran away before I was born? And what money have you been sending because I haven't gotten any money from anyone in my entire life."

"Your mom, Yesenia, she said she needed help with your clothes and rent because her job wasn't paying enough so I sent like $500 a month. Then she told me you guys moved to Chiapas because I wanted to see you. I was going to go to Chiapas, but the address she's been giving me was to some house and no one knew who she was." He explained. "Where's your mother?"

Tatiana tried to look for what to say, but instead looked like a fish out of water. "Her mom disappeared when she was 10 and left her with her abuelita. Abuelita passed when Tati was 14, so she's been living alone." Oscar answered for her. "Yesenia was addicted to drugs, so she's somewhere because of them."

For the first time since the conversation started, the man turned towards Oscar and immediately took notice of the tear drop and Santos cross tattoos. "And you are..?"

"Spooky."

"Oscar Diaz, Spooky? I heard a lot about you." Tatiana watched the two a little worried since it was her father meeting the guy she's basically been dating for 4 years. What she didn't know was thay he was mainly refering to the stories about how Oscar was always around a younger girl and he fought and killed a lot for her. "Anyways, I guess I can stop sending money to her now. Me siento mal porque I haven't been in your life like I wanted to. Uh, do you want to get breakfast tomorrow? We can talk more and it might answer some questions."

With a simple nod, they exchanged numbers while Oscar payed for everything after declaring that the guy was safe. In silence, they walked out to the car and neither rwally knew what to say.

Oscar and Tatiana just met her father for the first time, in a liquor store of all places. While Tatiana was trying to process everything, Oscar spoke up.

"Well, I'm confused."

Nicholas Gonzalez as Miguel Ramos (aka Tati's dad)

lol I really pulled a fast one. Y'all really thought she had a deadbeat dad when really, her mom is just fucking crazy.

I hope you guys are liking these chapters bc I don't want to go on hiatus for like 73829 months and I wanted to go off the script