Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

“There is no exercise better for the heart than reaching down and lifting people up.”[1]

The next couple of days the only thing Bryar could think about was her discovery. It was like time passed but she wasn’t aware of it. Now she had found this information, she didn’t know how to continue her family tree. How could you reveal such a magnificent secret? Bryar knew that she couldn’t just finish her project, she had to know if there was any truth behind the school legend. She found a couple of articles online but nothing useful but Bryar was utterly determined to find out the truth.

                  With all the days that passed, Bryar did spend a lot of them with Morgan and the girls per usual. The girls kept her on track with their projects and homework assignments – even though she had mostly finished it in class already – she mostly found her thoughts wander somewhere else. Her midnight calls with Morgan still happened very frequently, probably more than they should. One evening he brought up her vacancy of the past couple of days.

                  “How are you? Really, I mean. You’ve seemed a little out of it recently.” Bryar sighed.

                  “I am fine, honestly. It’s just that this stupid History project is really taking up more time and effort than I thought it would.” She paused. For a second she deliberated if she should tell him. In the end she kept her mouth shut not because she didn’t want to tell him but simply because she didn’t know where to start.

                  “Okay,”  He muttered softly, “Just know that I’m here for you.”

                  “ I know that. I promise to tell you if something serious is going on.” Bryar felt a smile creep onto her face by hearing his concern. “ You know that you can tell me anything too, right?”

                  He paused just a tad too long to be convincing. “ Yes, of course I do.”

                  Bryar’s forehead furrowed in confusion but Morgan carried on before she could reply.

                  “ Good night, my beautiful girlfriend. We’ll see each other tomorrow.”

                  She decided to let it go. “ Good night, my handsome boyfriend.”

His chuckle was the last thing she heard before she fell soundly asleep.

As she days past, she found herself not thinking as much about the school legend, which helped her greatly with her dance classes. She was utterly on point and all the teachers seemed to notice it too. Most of them had complimented her slightly or only gave her little things to work on instead of the huge assignments she used to receive.  Also her friends and Morgan had been so supportive, even though Bryar mainly suspected it was because not only was she doing great but she wasn’t lost in her thoughts anymore. This meant that her time with Kieran with decreased slightly but she still found herself spending a lot of time in the dance rooms, surrounded by her music and still utterly in love with dancing.

                  There was only one person that seemed to have somewhat a problem with her newfound success, and that was Jordan – or as she now continuously referred to him – Mr. VanderBilt. Not only was he giving her an incredibly hard time by giving her a lot of lead roles but he also seemed to be incredibly critical, especially when it came to her.

                  “ NO! It’s a ronde-jambe twice before you slide out!” He yelled through the dance room. All the other pupils seemed to flinch when it came to his strong tone but it didn’t phase Bryar at all. Maybe because she was used to him giving her a hard time, or maybe because she was still trying her utter best to ignore him as much as possible.