Chapter 7: Crane Birds 「鶴」

Chapter 7: Crane Birds

For the last three years, Konoha was in peace. The Uchiha has finally calmed down -to some extent, while some were still waiting for Konoha to fail them, but it was such a small population that it only needed a reassurance every now and then that the Uchiha will be back to its former glory- and Shisui was grateful for the opportunity that Naruto had made for his clan, for him. Before, all Uchiha was required to live inside the specified land near the outskirts of Konoha's north gate, but now they could live outside the Uchiha district like Shisui does this year.

Of course, there were problems like some clans' jealousy over the 'special treatment' the Uchiha have been receiving ever since the advisor Danzō died, but Shisui did not heed them. Such petty jealousy is not worth to worry about, because if one could see it clearly without bias, the Uchiha have had endured the discrimination for over fifty years that had had only worsen ten years ago, and yet still fight with the very village that had discriminated them.

If that isn't loyalty, Shisui doesn't know what is.

Danzō viewed the Uchiha as a hazard to the village's safety, and yet it was the very exact opposite. Konoha, to a certain extent, made the Uchiha their own enemy by alienating them. Then the government decided that the Kyūbi couldn't attack without an Uchiha controlling it, and then they put the Uchiha under a heavy surveillance for over three years, and of course, some snapped and decided enough was enough.

Shisui couldn't really blame his clan for planning to overthrow the Hokage. He really couldn't.

A month ago, the Uchiha could finally let out a relieved breathe because it was made official that he was going to be the next Hokage. After three years of discussing here and there, searching for political backing (he got the backing of the wife of the Daimyō, Jiraiya-san, Tsunade-san, Shikaku-san, the likes), the Sandaime decided on him after firing the advisor Koharu and Homura who would always disagree with the idea of an Uchiha Hokage.

Of course, he did ask Itachi first for permission. Shisui had known since the Sandaime declared it was either him or Itachi that was going to be the Godaime, that Itachi wanted peace and kind of concluded that he wanted to be Hokage to make peace with every nation. And so he felt he had to ask his friend. So it was a bit of a surprise when Itachi shrugged and actually said that he supported him. They were quietly competing for the title, a healthy rivalry like always, for the past three years and they agreed to not fight over it.

Shisui smiled as he walked around the village. He needed to get a closer look to the village he was going to lead, after all.

.

"Who's your jōnin instructor?"

Sasuke was about to take the ebi tempura when his father interrupted.

"Hatake Kakashi," he answered.

"Hmm." Fugaku stared at his youngest son, a neutral look on his face. "That boy, huh." He seemed subdued, Sasuke thought it was a bit odd for his father to make that face. His father was usually calm or had a small smile on his face.

"Ah, that's right," Mikoto paused from her meal. "Kakashi-kun came with Hokage-sama today. You're at the office, right, dear?"

Fugaku briefly nodded and sipped his tea.

Itachi, who usually was silent during a meal, spoke, "I heard from Shisui that Naruto-san is your teammate."

Sasuke abruptly stopped chewing. His right eyebrow's twitched.

"Naruto?" Mikoto repeated her chopsticks in the air. Her face soon morphed into nostalgia and happiness. "Oh!" She looked over her son and beamed. "Get along with her, alright?"