Chapter 5-Dating again

Short chapter...enjoy

===================================

Chapter 5

“I really appreciate the thought Ruston, but I will be fine. I have lived on my own for some time. I am used to taking care of myself,” Diana told him. He nodded and walked her back to her door. Once at her front door again, he brought her right hand up to his mouth and placed a sweet kiss on her knuckles. Smiling at her he said, “Goodnight darlin’ give me a call if you decide you want to see me again.” With those words he turned and walked back to his car and drove away after one last glance back at Diana.

Diana was washing the wine goblets just minutes later when her doorbell rang. She knew the cops would be asking her for her story on the loud noise. Drying her hands she opened her door. Standing there looking devilishly handsome dressed all in black with his gold shiny badge on his hip was Dante.

“What are you doing back here, Dante?” Diana asked very miffed that he had the audacity to come back to her house tonight after his idiotic display just hours ago.

“I just wanted to check on you, you know once that guy left. You need to be careful about who you choose to date. I realize that you are ready to get back out there, but at least let me check up on them before you date them,” Dante told her as he walked through her door without invitation.

“Come on in,” Diana said sarcastically. “We need to talk Dante,” Diana told him matter of factly. Dante plopped down onto his usual seat on the couch. Diana sat directly beside him, which she had never done before. She smiled at herself realizing that Ruston had helped her more than she could’ve ever even believed possible. Dante even appeared to be taken aback, but quickly hid his reaction.

“No more,” Diana stated and Dante looked at her as if she had lost her mind.

“No more, what?” he asked her.

“No more of this, we have had this discussion time after time recently. No more protecting me, no more coddling me and now no more stalking me; waiting in the shadows to scare the life out of my dates,” she said throwing her hands in the air exasperated.

“You can’t expect me to just…,” Dante began but she quickly cut him off.

“NO!” she yelled at him as she cut her hand through the air. “I am no longer your responsibility, I can take care of myself and if you push me on this I will stop being your friend at all. I mean it Dante, NO MORE!” she emphasized her words. “You either treat me like an equal or leave me the hell alone,” Diana never dropped eye contact with him. Dante just looked at her incredulously through her whole rant.

“Fine,” he told her. It was Diana’s turn to look shocked; she couldn’t believe that it was that easy to get him to lighten up on her.

“Well, good, we are on the same page then,” Diana told him suspiciously.

“So, how was your date?” Dante asked uncomfortably. Diana didn’t foresee any problem with talking with Dante about this; she talks with him about everything else.

“It was actually really wonderful. Ruston is sweet and his southern accent is really endearing. We had a great evening with Derrik and Kay. It was the most fun I have had in years,” she told him. Diana was going about finishing straightening up her home as she was talking and missed the look of pain that flashed momentarily on Dante’s face. Dante didn’t like the feeling he was getting from listening to her talk about how much fun she had with someone who wasn’t him. Maybe he should follow her lead and start dating again. His sole focus has been keeping her safe and happy since the incident. There was a cute little blonde working at the hardware store that looked about Dante’s age. Dante was lost in thought when he realized Diana had asked him a question that he missed.

“What?” he asked her.

“What did you do tonight?” Diana asked again.

“I-I really should be going home I have to get up early for my shift tomorrow,” he told her as he kissed her cheek as he rushed out the door.

Diana looked on after him and shook her head. She would never understand that man.

 =====================================

short chapter, but the plot thickens...cute little blonde, wonder how happy Diana will be with Dante dating?