Rare Attraction [6]

Thank you for being patient everyone as I rewrite these chapters! I'm currently writing the next one. Y'all enjoy!

       I turned to Brian, my eyes full of dread. Images of my parents holding him down, preventing him from harming himself immediately came to mind. His white, tortured eyes and trembling body had haunted me sporadically.

       My parents were always the ones to take care of him. I had no idea what to do. Did they do a spell to reduce the pain? I had to get him home as soon as possible.

       "It's going to be okay, Aria. Just take a deep breath," Brian said.

       "No, it's not. You don't know what it's like when he has a vision. It's terrifying, and there's blood. Everywhere." I turned back to my trembling brother and dug through his pants pocket to retrieve his keys. "How could I be so stupid-?"

       Brian's hand rested on my shoulder. "You're not stupid. You had no idea this was going to happen. Just get in the car, and I'll take you home."

       "There'll be no need for that," a deep, appealing voice spoke from behind me, causing goosebumps to rise upon my skin.

       Brian and I looked to see Zander standing a few feet from us with an impassive expression. His narrowed eyes regarded my friend with displeasure.

       The air thickened, and I almost forgot how to breathe. Everything about him was too overwhelming. From his towering presence to his dominating gaze, my knees almost buckled from the sight of him.

       Brian tensed and seemed to cower under his gaze but moved closer to me. A growl erupted from Zander; his deadly eyes were completely black.

       "Can I help you with something? My girlfriend and I were just about to head home," Brian asked, trying to sound confident, but he looked like he wanted to pee his pants.

       I stared up at Brian with surprise. Girlfriend?

       Suddenly, Brian's body was pushed against the car from an invisible force. I gasped, turning my head to see that Zander had the same glare that I'd seen back on the beach when he was dueling Alastair. His face was cold, so overwhelmingly cruel that I had to take a few steps away.

       My body crept closer to the car, but Zander quickly took notice of the short movement. His eyes softened when they rested on me, but the intensity never faltered.

       "You should get in the car."

       My heart fluttered. The baritone sound flooded my veins with longing. The deep command did funny things to my stomach.

       "I don't even know you," I managed to say.

       He walked closer, watching me with that penetrating gaze. "But you feel like you can trust me."

       How was I supposed to answer that? Everything within me was screaming to trust him, but my paranoia was urging me to just get in and drive home myself. For all I knew, I could've been looking into the eyes of the monster my family had hidden from for almost two decades.

       However, as I continued to sheepishly study him, I fully believed this man could never harm me. I gently nodded, my eyes wide with wonder. It was as if he captivated me- my soul, mind, and body.

       "Good," he smirked and opened his fist, revealing a set of keys, but as I looked closer, I realized it was Alastair's keys.

       His eyes stayed on me, silently waiting for me to comply with his request. It was strange how a man - a stranger at that - could have such influence over me. It was scary but quite thrilling at the same time.