A Hint of Magic | Chapter 2

Copyright 2013 All Rights Reserved

A Hint of Magic By Claire Chilton

2

A Quest for Magic

The next morning, Dora followed her mother through the busy streets at a snail's pace. She watched her mother's coiffed blonde hair swing around her head as she purposefully strode down the main street a few yards ahead of her.

"Hurry up, Dora. We can't be late for your father's show." Her mother turned her head and called over her shoulder.

Dora dragged her feet, scuffing her Doc Martins on the sidewalk and scowling at her mother's back.

I don't want to go. I'm tired of church services and happy-clapping bullshit.

Being the daughter of a preacher wasn't easy, but being the daughter of a televangelist was so much worse. She wasn't even sure if she believed in God. For an almighty being, he hadn't made her world very magical.

She glanced down at the shopping bags in her hands. The arm of a pink fluffy cardigan hung out of one of them. Narrowing her eyes, she scuffed it against the bricks of the building beside her, dragging it so the angora wool caught and pulled.

"What are you doing?" her mother cried.

Dora glanced up and sighed. Busted.

"I just bought you that. Why are you ruining it?" Her mother rushed over to her and snatched the bags out of her hands. "You're going to confession for this!" She snapped before spinning on her heel and storming ahead.

What, again? Not bloody likely. And, I hate pink fluffy cardigans. Dog vomit would look nicer on me.

Dora shook her head. She knew she was being obnoxious, but she hated her life. She hated church, she hated pink fluffy things, and she really hated confession. She enjoyed magic and mystery. She wanted to live in a world where she could be herself without having to explain it. The darkness was exciting. It was free. She just wanted to live how she chose.

She blankly stared ahead at her mother, who was rushing past the entrance to a dark alley. While focusing on the dingy alley that was squashed between the mini-market and the opticians, she frowned.

Most people wouldn't even notice it existed. It was so narrow and dark that it could be mistaken for a shadow. But she knew it was a shortcut to the rundown side of town, which only the locals knew about.

"Hurry up. Don't let your father down, again," her mother called out behind her.

Dora scowled again. It never seemed to matter what she wanted. All that ever mattered was what her parents wanted.

She eyed the entrance of the alley as a greenish mist exuded from it, and she watched the smoke billow downwards into the gutter. Making a decision that today things were going to change, she turned towards the passage. She'd always tried to please her parents. Okay, she failed dismally at it, but she'd always tried. Not once had they ever tried to please her.

Peering at her mother to ensure she wasn't watching, she slipped into the alley and ran down it as fast as she could.

Her Docs thumped against the cobbled stones as she raced into the darkness towards the side of town that everyone had told her to avoid.

She realized that the green steam must be coming from one of the many vents as it floated around her feet, wafting around her and making the air denser.

Ignoring it, she rushed through the fog. She wanted to see the darker side of life. She wanted to find a new world where she would finally belong.

The walls were slimy with moss and grime. She carefully avoided touching them as she slowed near the dingy light at the end of the passage.