Chapter 10: Maybe you need me

I pulled up to the gate in front of Marshall's house. I rolled down my window once I saw the guard who asked me "What's your business here?" He was a large man. He had a deep, scary sounding voice which made him even more intimidating. "I'm here to see Marshall." I managed to say. "One minute please." he replied. He walked over to the booth that was positioned by the gate. It seemed way too small for him, but he got inside with no trouble. He used the phone inside to call only who I could assume to be Marshall. He talked for a minute, then returned to my window. "You can go right inside, mam. Enjoy your visit." Enjoy my visit? That seemed a little weird. He punched in the sequence of numbers on the keypad, which seemed to take longer this time, and as the gate crept open and he motioned me inside. I waved at him as I pulled through.

I drove slowly to the end of the driveway as if I was expecting something to jump out at me. I was nervous. I didn't know what to expect. Was he going to be angry? Maybe I would find him upset? Although It did seem a little early for that. One week was too soon for that. I talked myself out of that thought just as I rounded the corner and pulled up to him sitting outside on his deck. He was in the same place we had dinner the other night. That felt like such a long time ago now. I had some flashbacks to that night and smiled to myself.

I heard a tap on the window which sort of startled me. Marshall had been standing there, waiting for me to turn off the car so he could open my door. I did just that, and he followed suit. I smiled at him. "Hey." I said after taking a deep breath. "Hey." he replied. It was short, but neutral. He wasn't giving me any indication of how he was feeling, I assumed on purpose. I hugged him, and he returned. His hands instantly went to my waist as they had always done. It was a long hug, but it felt so... normal. He pulled away and he led me to the table where he had been sitting. He had been writing some stuff on a legal pad. It looked like someone crazy had been writing on it because the writing was everywhere. He didn't use the lines like everyone else did. He pushed it off to the side and looked at me. I recognized his demeanor, he was trying to keep the emotion he was feeling from showing on his face. The longer we looked at each other, however, the more it began to soften. He couldn't hide from me for some reason. He sighed and said, "I've missed you." He immediately looked down. Almost instinctively, I slid closer to him and grabbed for his hand. Right as I was about to touch him he pulled it away. "Marshall, I'm sorry for everything." I began, unsure of where else to start. "I was selfish. I'm not used to having anyone care this much. My intention was never to hurt you." He looked up at me when I said that. The look on his face made my heart ache. I wish there were words to describe it. We just looked at each other again. My mind was racing. I had so many things I wanted to say to him, that I needed to say to him. But I was unsure of where to start. I looked away from him and said, "I'm a pretty messed up girl, you know?" He scoffed, "You think you're the only one?" he replied. I met his gaze again and shook my head. "Of course not, that's not what I meant." I said, "but, that's why I pushed you away." Against the protesting of my heart, which was fighting me hard, I told him all about my awful beginnings. I could feel my lips tremble as I talked, and my hands shake. I was truly afraid of being vulnerable with him, of letting him in too much. He grabbed one of my hands as I talked to him. "Trust me," he said, "I get it." He shared some tragedy from his early life too. Which made me feel a little silly in comparison. What I had went through was bad, but nothing like what he had been through. Afterwards, I felt my shoulders relax. It kind of felt like a weight off my shoulders to tell him the things I had been wanting to since after our first date. "I, I didn't know." I said once he had finished. He just shrugged, "You didn't know because I didn't want you to know." he said. There was a brief silence. Then he said, out of nowhere, "What do you think my motivation was in approaching you last week?" I thought about it. Then I said, "I don't know. I just thought approaching women is what you do." I shrugged. He looked at me, kind of amazed. "You really think I have that much game?" He began to laugh. "I honestly don't know." I replied. "I hadn't really given it a lot of thought." "Nah, I approached you because I sensed there was something different about you. "I raised an eyebrow at him. "How? You had no clue about me at all." "Hey, I like to think I know a good woman when I see one." he shot back at me. I snorted and said "Yeah? How has that worked out for you so far?" I immediately looked over at him, realizing I may had taken the joke a little too far. "No, you're right." he replied, he obviously noticed what I was thinking by my facial expression. "It hasn't worked out well for me in a while, that's why I haven't been dating." he said. "But the thought of approaching you made me nervous, which said to me it had to be worth giving it a try." I had almost forgotten he had a hold of my hand. I only noticed when he moved it and placed it on my thigh. Like he had been calculating when to make that move since we sat down together. I gave him the sincerest look I could muster with my face still messed up. "I promise you I never tried to hurt you." I finally said. "I was just in a really bad place." He nodded. "I understand." he replied. "But you put me in a bad place too, you know?" I looked away, letting out a sigh. "Hey," he said, "I know you didn't mean it."

By this time the sun had begun to set and there began to be a slight chill in the air. "C'mon," he said to me, "let's go inside." He took me by the hand and led me back into the familiar house. We went right into the living room where he had been sitting when I called him earlier. I could tell because the TV was still off. I also, of course, remembered it being the setting of a very steamy make out session which led to other things. I sat closer to him than I had ever remembered doing. I leaned back into his left side and he lifted his strong arm to let me into his embrace, wrapping it around me. "So, I'm sure Melissa told you about the conversation we had last week when I was there huh?" he said after a few minutes of silence. "Yeah." I replied. "She only did it because she thought it would give me the kick in the ass I needed to reach out to you and make things right." I grabbed his hand, hoping he wouldn't be too upset with her. He squeezed it slightly in response, as if he knew what I was doing. "Yeah, I figured as much. So, I guess it's time I REALLY tell you about Kim." he said. He began to trail off a little. I looked back and could tell he was thinking about it. "Only if you really want to." I reassured him. I know it can be a touchy subject."

He didn't seem to have as much difficulty as I did in opening up. Maybe he was putting on a strong front. He gave her years. Much longer than I could ever imagine giving anyone who treated me the way she treated him. Of course, he admits he did some things too. He definitely wasn't innocent. In listening to him, I even felt he took responsibility for things he really didn't need to. I could see the pain in his eyes as he spoke even though he tried to mask it. There was lying, cheating, marriages and divorces. But no matter what he was saying he always thought carefully before saying something. As if she was standing in the room listening to him.

After he was finished talking, he pulled away from me. I got up to turn around and make sure he was okay. He tried to look away before I could see his face, but I saw him. His eyes were full of pain. I was at a loss of what to do, so I got up and straddled him, so he would have to look at me. He did for a few seconds, then I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him. At that moment, the electricity between us was intense. He took his hands from their position and began to run them down my back and across my bottom. It felt like I had an electrical circuit running through me. Our eyes met again, both of us obviously overwhelmed and feeling the same sensations. I remember looking at his face as if I were studying it. Like I would never see it again. He ran his hands down my body again, and as I felt the same electricity. I began to realize this was sexual tension from not seeing him or being with him in this way in so long. At this moment I felt him grow underneath me. "You're so beautiful." he said, not breaking eye contact with me. He spoke softly, making me blush.

Our lips finally met in the most deep and passionate kiss we have ever shared. All the feelings I had for him came flooding back to me at one time. It was like our first date all over again. He was so good at kissing me. Maybe it was because we were connecting on a deeper level than we ever had before. His hands seemed to go right where I wanted them to go. "Take this off." he demanded, pulling at the bottom of my shirt. I obeyed him without thinking twice. He scanned me up and down, then he undid my bra. He tossed it on the floor behind us and began kissing me some more while roaming and exploring my body. He would only stop kissing me to give attention to my breasts, but he was hungrier for my lips, and me for his. "Let's move this somewhere more comfortable." he said after a few more minutes of foreplay. I nodded, got up off his lap and he led me into his room.

When we got to his room he wasted no time taking off his clothes. He helped me onto the bed gently. He climbed over top of me, kissing my forehead before hungrily going for my lips again. We fucked in a way that I had never experienced before. We were both so eager to please the other. The intensity when we were doing so was overwhelming. But it was never rough like I had experienced before in similar situations. I realized after my second body tensing orgasm that this is what making love with someone felt like. After we were finished and thoroughly satisfied I crawled into his arms. I felt him gently kiss the back of my neck and I turned around to face him. "I think we just made up." I said smiling. He laughed and asked "Oh, you think so? What was your first clue?" The pillow talk was light and happy. We joked and talked as if we had been together forever. This continued until we finally fell asleep.

AN: Okay, so I had this story already written. For whatever reason my computer didn't save the whole file, so I have to retype the last chapter. Thankfully, I kept my handwritten copy. I'm debating on if I want to try to make a sequel to this story or if I wanna write a whole new story altogether. I am open to suggestions or ideas, my twitter is where I'm most active fdoby21 is my handle. Again, thanks for reading!