CHAPTER NINE

||CHAPTER NINE // MEETING GRANDMA||

Dean and Dakota finally tracked down John, after taking a couple wrong turns they find him buying a car. John shakes the dealer's hand and the man disappears into the building, leaving the Winchester to look at the Volkswagen bus that he was about to get.

"That's not the one you want." Dean says, announcing his and Dakota's presence. Dean leans against Baby, holding Dakota on his hip.

"You following me?" John demands to know, Dakota looks to her dad to answer.

"No, no." Dean shakes his head, using his free hand to emphasize his words. "We were just passing by. I never got to thank you for that cup of coffee this morning. I was a little out of it."

"More than a little." John corrects, Dakota giggles quietly.

"Let me repay the favor." Dean insists, Dakota looks at him confused. They don't have any money. Dean taps on Baby's hood. "This is the car you want."

"Oh, yeah?" John challenges with a smile. "You know something about cars?"

"Yeah." Dean smirks, nodding his hand and looking at the impala. "Yeah, my dad taught me everything I know." John's smile seems to shrink a bit and he looks at the car instead of Dean. "And this--this is a great car."

Dean turns towards the car and places Dakota on the ground gently to lift the hood up. "372 four-barrel, 275 horses. A little TLC, this thing is cherry." Dean lists.

John sighs, smiling at the car appreciatively. "You know, man...you're right." He says, Dean looks almost shocked yet smug.

"What are you buying that thing for?" Dakota questions, lifting her hand and pointing at the van John was looking at, her nose wrinkled in disgust. Dean breathes out a laugh at his daughter's comment.

"Kind of promised someone I would." John says, looking over at the van then at Dakota. He's amused by the young girl's words.

Dean laughs again. "Over a '67 Chevy? I mean, come on. This is the car of a lifetime. Trust me, this thing's still gonna be bad ass when it's 40." Dakota nearly corrects him on his swear, slowly giving up with scolding him. He doesn't learn. She sighs instead, placing a hand against her face and slowly dragging it down.

John sighs, seeming to be stuck on making a decision. "John Winchester." He introduces himself, holding out his hand politely. "Thanks."

Dean shakes his hand after glancing at it in confusion. "Dean Van Halen." He says, Dakota's head snaps up at him in confusion.

"What's your name, sweetheart?" John asks Dakota kindly, she glances at her dad.

"Dakota." She says sweetly, holding her hand out like her dad does. John looks surprised but grins at the gesture, slipping his hand into her's and shaking it.