Chapter three

I walk back toward the dance floor, trying to forget what just happened with Cameron. I think I should slow on the drinks tonight, I agree way too easily to silly things.

''Ayden!'' I yell over the music and he stops dancing with a girl from our school, his grey eyes lighting up when he spots me.

He lets go of the girl, much to her disappointment and walks toward me. He grabs my right hand and makes me swirl, ''What took you so long? Please don't say you poo-'' 

''Shut up!'' I laugh, ''Something crazy happened and I think I might regret-''

''Hel- Hello? Does everyone hear me?'' I gape at Cameron, unable to look away. What is he doing with a microphone?

A dimple forms on his right cheek as he side smiles and everyone cheers as he says, ''How's everyone doing tonight?''

He takes a minute, waiting for everyone to calm down before his eyes reach mine. Ayden pulls me to his side in a protective manner. ''I guess you've all heard a girl named Alexa Jones proclaiming herself the queen of the Game.'' Girls cheer, even some boys, but some just show a thumbs down with a disapproving cry.

''I'm not totally convinced she's the queen since there's still one player she hasn't won over.'' He roams his eyes over the crowd, letting the suspense fill in, ''Me.''

''That sick bastard.'' I hear Ayden say lowly beside me.

''Parker, please, let go of my new girl and let her come to me.'' I roll my eyes and feel Ayden stiffen but I detach myself from him even though I don't want to. People cheer, looking at me getting to Cameron.

When I reach him, there's an evil smile on his face. ''Hey, princess so here's the deal.'' Everyone seems to hold their breath, watching us, apprehending the moment. ''I think we should push this to the next level.'' I try to keep calm but my mind wanders everywhere and I'm having a hard time trying to simply breathe again.

''What is it?'' I demand trying to look more unhappy than panicked.

''Don't worry, not that kind of next level.'' He laughs and everyone seems as unconvinced as me. I catch Jake and Lizzy next to Ayden staring at me with question marks on their faces.

''Then what do you want?'' I almost snap.

''To win the Game, it won't be a simple kiss, we'll upgrade it. The loser needs to say I love you for the other to win.'' I want to laugh, how easy did he make this?

People are all gaping and grinning. 

''So, beautiful, let the Game start.'' He smirks holding out his hand to me and people cheer. I smirk ignoring his hand and take his face between my hands bringing him close to my face.

''I'll never give in to you, I hope you know that. You just crowned me queen already.'' I whisper then wink before pushing him away. I walk away and kids from our school all spread to let me through. 

''Nice show, jerks never change.'' I look over at Darius and he smirks evilly, ''Of course, I wasn't talking about Cameron.'' 

I choose to ignore him, trying not to care that his words stung, and walk away.

''I can't believe this smart-ass, can't he give people a break at some point?'' Ayden is fuming as we wait for the taxi we called. 

''He's sick. Even I wouldn't play that much with girls' emotions.'' Jake adds shaking his head. I can't help but love even more my two best friends right at this moment. Even though they are on the baseball team and every single guy in it plays the Game, they won't.

''Why did you even say yes?'' Liz asks me.

''He provoked me on my way to the bathroom. I didn't think though he would push it that far.'' I shrug one shoulder, ''I guess it'll be easier though.''

''You're kidding right?'' She says with big round eyes.

''What?''

''If you want to be free of dating whoever you want to you need to win.'' Jake says, ''You can't do another guy at the same time.''

''So what?'' I press on, not understanding where they are going with this.

''That means you have to spend big time with the jerk,'' Ayden says, exasperated. With me or the Game?

''Oh.'' 

Liz nods her head, ''I can't believe you didn't think about that. It's Darius all over again.'' She sighs. 

''Even though the guy was nice, it was kind of boring having him around.''Jake admits, ''You weren't yourself as soon as he was there.''

''I was playing the Game,'' I say matter-of-factly.

''Exactly, I just hope not to see this jerk's face too much,'' Lizzy whines and we fall into silence. The taxi finally shows up and we hop in it. The driver drops Lizzy and Jake first before leaving Ayden and me.

Ayden takes my hand in his and squeezes it as I shiver. Nights are getting colder as we're leaving behind Halloween.

''I guess I'll see you tomorrow at work?'' Ayden asks.

''Yeah, I guess so.'' We both stand before my door but neither one of us make a move to leave. Finally, Ayden says a quiet goodnight and starts letting go of my hand.

''Wait.'' I say and sigh, ''Please tell me the truth.'' 

''About what?''

''Do you think I should have left it that way, I mean, not accepting the challenge to be totally queen.'' 

It's his turn to sigh as he rubs the back of his neck, ''To say the truth, I was hoping we would start to date since you were queen and all.'' I need to control myself to not fall apart. ''I guess we'll just have to postpone that again.'' He chuckles lightly and meets my eyes.

''Just not the right time again.'' I try a smile and he nods.

''I'll still be by your side until you're ready.'' 

''And I'll still be your best friend until more.'' We both laugh before he lets go of my hand to cup my cheek.

''So good night.'' He whispers and I shiver. His lips are so close but he pulls away and walks back to his house. I sigh, feeling dumb and crushed. Someday maybe.

I need to get rid of my demons first.