Daylight

I wasn't conscious of the morning star awakening in the distance.

I also hadn't realized that this was the first time I had ever fallen asleep peacefully. Maybe I should consider that a new record.

If only it had stayed that way.

The second my body lifted, every wound -- known and unknown, scabbed or simply barren just because -- immediately split open. I quickly sank my claws into the floor, scrunched my eyes shut, and held on tight for one excruciating ride of hell.

It was as though my whole body had ripped in two.

The endless waves of agony rushed about my body faster than seawater to a drowning victim, cramping every muscles and poisoning this blessed heart. Earlier I promised myself to hold my roar in the dark shadows of this abandoned mansion... never to show proof of my survival to the world...

I clearly failed.

Unable to hold back any longer, my whole body spasmed and a horrible howl reverberated into the sky. My frantic tail lashed uncontrollably, slamming into the dry walls, knocking down fractured paintings and glass vases to create even more noise than necessary. It was terrible, and for several long minutes I believed that I had just killed myself. Of course that was only an assumption, I could still very much breathe, speak, taste, and move. But, what more was I meant to do when all there was to think about was this pain?

And with nobody left but myself to hear such misery.

A few more minutes to pass before my whines paused and I dropped upon my side hard, sobbing quietly for a moment then laying still to feel my body tremble and bleed. My snout was, once again, assaulted by this stench, but now I had no intention of lavishing it by thought or words. I was simply shocked, confused, hurt.

And now I had to tend to it, I growled in annoyance.

A pink silky tongue slithered out from the depths of my maw, leaning in close to the nearest wound, and scraped against the opening. I was foolish to think that'll help.

Gasping, I curled my talons a second time, tearing into the dry wood as more molten fire seared into my abdomen. My mind was undoubtedly conceding to the torment, unable to bring a thought to completion. I stared at my black talons as I breathed heavily, watching them twitch every second as little droplets of blood slithered from my maw and dropped to the ground.

Your wounds have worsened, my mind croaked. You're bound to bleed out, just as I have predicted.

I'm sorry, whose side are you on?

I am simply relaying the facts old friend, my devilish mind hissed again as I huffed and gagged on the lukewarm liquid pulsing on my throat. You need real treatment, not human clothing to cover you up. You won't last another night if you wander about like this.

You want me to step into the human world? I shuddered and spat more blood out with a snarl. Who are you fooling? They already hate me for what I am! They'll see me as a monster, and they'll dispose of me quick.

Alas, you are a monster, my mind growled, as I could almost imagine it grinning proudly. But you're still you, and indoraptor, as your maker put it. A terror of artificial nature, a thief to life, created to kill. Deal with it.

I am not a monster. I've told you this...

What else would you call yourself?

I'm...