Chapter 15 - Not So Cute And Fluffy

"There are a number of classrooms spread throughout the three levels of the school building; two for each magical discipline, and a large laboratory for Apothecary lessons. Mr Kittridge's office is on the second floor as you know, the dining area where meals are served is on this floor, and the library spans all three."

"How am I supposed to remember which classroom is where?" I asked as we walked down the corridor, "They all look the same."

"We'll give you a map inside of your induction pack."

"Induction pack? What is this, some kind of hotel?" Zac snorted.

"What's in this induction pack?" I asked, bemused.

"Just your timetable, map of the school and the island, details about clubs and The Clash and how to take part, a list of rules, just routine boring stuff."

"Will I have classes with you?" I asked.

"Yeah: General Evocation and Focus Evocation."

"What's the difference?"

"All students get two periods a week of generalised teaching in each of the eight disciplines, as well as a few periods of other subjects. You're also timetabled for four periods a week of Focus teaching where all students group up by Focus and learn more complex magic in their speciality. In your case, you'll have two periods a week of Focus teaching in Evocation with me, and two periods a week of Focus teaching in Abjuration teaching with the Master of Abjuration, Ms Carter." It was subtle, but I could swear the corner of his mouth twitched slightly and his cheeks had become a tinge redder when he said that.

"What's Ms Carter like?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, um, she's amazing. I mean, she's excellent at her job. She's an extremely talented sorcerer. She's actually an Abjucator like yourself, so you two should get along well."

He had managed to recover towards the end, but I was convinced that all that stammering was because Mr Beck had a little bit of a crush on Ms Carter. The hopeless romantic in me wanted to try and set them up on a date or something, but then I remembered that Mr Beck was actually my teacher, not my friend, and thought better of getting involved.

Mr Beck took us through the school. We saw a number of classrooms set up with desks and strange gizmos, a massive beautifully decorated dining room set up with a number of elegant, rounded tables and chairs. There was a large room that looked to be like a laboratory with beakers and chemicals, mixed with a kitchen with bowls and spoons and weird looking ingredients in large glass jars. The last room we visited was an immense library stuffed to the brim with books and complete with a spiralling staircase in the middle of the room leading to upper floors.

I was actually looking forward to spending time in the library reading some of the thousands of books; I figured if my practical magic wasn't up to scratch, at least my theoretical knowledge could be half way decent.

"Well, that's about everything." Mr Beck announced when we reached the foyer of the school once again, "I have some things to take care of, but if you like we could continue our lessons tomorrow morning at the training field?"

"Yeah, I guess that's probably a good idea." I agreed, "What time?"

"Eleven? You're welcome too Zac. For now, you can either head back to the dorm or explore a little. Just remember not to try and cross the river."

"Don't worry, I don't fancy being eaten."

'It's a good attitude to have," he replied, "I'll leave you to it then."

"Do you mind if we come with you?" my mum asked, "We still have a few more questions about the school."

"Of course...happy to help." Mr Beck looked pretty nervous at the prospect of being interrogated by my mother.