Chapter 4 - The New Boss

Chapter 4

 The New Boss

Oh ground, swallow me up now!

I watched dumbstruck as he shook hands with some of my officemates. In the bright light of the day, he was more gorgeous. Soft wavy hair, dark eyes fringed with long lashes, and a blinding smile. He was wearing a white buttoned down shirt and a black pants. 

He went to the front of the  room. "Hello guys. Please take your seats," he said in that rich baritone of his. I took the chair nearest to me (and farthest from him) and looked around. All the girls were googly eyed at him.

He clapped his hands. My eyes stayed on those long fingers...

I felt my cheeks heating up the thought. My goodness! How will I ever get through  this? I just spent the last night with him for heaven's sake! A night I could not even remember of but still! I went to a freaking bed with him in freaking expensive hotel!

"First of all, I want to thank Miss Rose for organizing a welcome party for me." He gestured to Rose who was still standing by the door. If it was even possible, she flushed more furiously. Everybody clapped.

"Well as you all know, this is my first day and I am very happy and honored to lead the IT team..."

I tuned out. I could not help it. I just stared at him, at the way he put his hands in his pants pockets, at the way the corner of lips raise in a quick smirk, at how his eyes sometimes squints. He was well built, it was obvious to the way his shirt almost clung to his chest. And I couldn't believe that I could have been touching that chest all night, and I couldn't remember a thing about it!

I groaned inwardly. I should't be worrying about that. He was looking around but I was hiding behind somebody. I just wished it wouldn't be so awkward when he saw me. What would he do? What would he say? What should I do? Resign? I couldn't do that! I need this job for heaven's sake!

Suddenly he wasn't speaking anymore and his attention was focused on Angela Cruz who was seated in front. His smile was so beguiling, so focused on her that poor Angela, who was a wife and a mother of three looked actually flustered. What's happening? 

Then his attention turned to Christopher who was seated next to Angela. I realized that he was having a roll call. Oh my God!

I watched in sheer horror as Chris introduced himself. "Christopher Villar, project manager and lead solutions analyst."

One by one, my colleagues introduced themselves until it was the turn of the one seated next to me. I did not even bother looking at her, I was bracing myself for the inevitable. I considered running for the restroom, but he will still see me and notice me the more.

Then my time came. I had no choice. I wrung my hands together on my lap and forced myself to look up.

And our eyes met.

I knew the moment recognition hit him. His eyes widened for a fraction of a  second and he inhaled sharply. Then his face broke into a brilliant smile. For some it may look normal but I saw a new glint in his eyes. 

Then it dawned on me. He did not know my name.

I cleared my throat as everyone turned to look at me. "Marissa Lim. Lead Analyst," I said in a clear voice. I looked at him straight in the eye without blushing. I congratulated myself silently. Well done Reese. Well done.

He nodded and smiled at me then looked at the next person beside. I breathed a small sigh of relief. That wasn't so bad. He didn't look at me again for the rest of the meeting, until we ate the feast that Rose had prepared. Everyone was eager to talk to him. While my officemates flocked at him, I stayed on my seat and silently nibbled on a cupcake. Ellen went to me with a big smile.