"Don't be ridiculous, Aspen."

After we had our milkshakes I walked home to pack

After we had our milkshakes I walked home to pack. When I was done packing, I sat my bag on the floor and stared at my pink and white ceiling with my hands behind my head. I thought about how I would have to speak to my older sister, Jackie.

We always got along before. Two years before this, our parents had died. She was only 18 when she had to drop out of college to take care of me. Ever since she had been taking care of me, we argued all the time. Everytime I tried to speak with her, she was annoyed or busy or uninterested. I sat up, picking up my bag, and walked out of my bedroom. I walked down the small hallway into the living room. Jackie sat in our living room chair, watching Leave it to Beaver (it was always her favorite). She wasn't busy, so I hoped she was in a good mood.

"Hey," I hesitated.

"What's up?" She looked up at me.

"I think I'm gonna stay over at Shelby's tonight. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, whatever. When will you be back?" She looked back over at the small TV, making my face drop.

"Probably tomorrow. Like, late, late, tomorrow. We got a lotta stuff to do."

"Okay, have fun."

I sighed before walking out of the front door.

...

I was walking down the street to the train tracks when a black car came up beside me. Cherry hopped out of the back seat, waving the unknown driver goodbye.

"Hey," she smiled sweetly at me. I gave her a weak smile in return and started walking again.

"Hey," she said, more concerned now. She walked up next to me, grabbing my shoulder. "What's wrong?"

"I just-" I looked down, putting my hand over my face as I stopped walking. "Why doesn't she like me?" I sighed.

"Who?"

"Jackie!" I exclaimed, taking my hand off my face and turning back to her.

"Don't be ridiculous, Aspen." It was Cherry's turn to sigh. "Jackie loves you!"

"How would you know?" I scoffed as I started walking again.

"Hey, listen," she grabbed my shoulder and turned me around to face her, stopping me yet again. "You realize she didn't have to drop outta school, right? You would be an orphan right now if it weren't for her. An orphan, Aspen! Okay? So she has to give a shit about you."

I took a breath. "Okay... Okay, I guess you're right." I replied slowly.

"Of course I am," she smiled.

"Give it to me!" We both turned our heads to across the street. Ace Merrill was holding something above this poor boy's head. "C'mon, man! That's mine!" The unidentified boy reached for the object above his head.

Ace Merril: town asshole.

The unidentified boy's unidentified friend stepped in, Ace pushed him to the ground, holding him there. Classic asshole Ace.

I sat my bag on the ground and started heading towards them.

"You're not going over there," Cherry stated, but it sounded more like a question.

"Why shouldn't I? Somebody's gotta do something!"

"Aspen, no! You're gonna get us killed! Those boys are gonna be fine, honey. Besides, you don't even know them, don't stress it, okay?"

I calmed down and thought about what she said. I didn't know who they were, so why stress about it?

...

sorry it took me a long ass time to update. also, i'm feelin some unintentionally gay vibes from Cherry.

~Sara