Chapter 10- Mistletoe Kisses

Grandma Trudy was anxiously awaiting their return, and as soon as they entered the kitchen, Darcy handed her the coveted ginger.

"Thank you, sweetie," Gammy gave her a hurried smile and added the spice to a waiting bowl.

"Can I help you with anything, Gammy?"

"No thanks, I'm just about ready to put the gingerbread in the oven for the decorating contest later. Looks like this might be your first year to have a partner other than me." Usually, her mother and father were on a team, Jacob and Lexi would decorate a house together, and she and Grandma Trudy typically made up the third team.

"You can still be on my team," she gave the elderly woman a hug.

"No...I'd rather judge anyway. You know how judgmental I can be," Trudy gave her a wink, and Darcy bit back a smile. "Now you go find Preston, and make sure he isn't getting into trouble."

Taking her grandmother's advice, she went to find Preston who was reclining on the living room couch watching 'Holiday Inn'. She took the seat beside him, and her heart leaped in her chest as he wrapped his arm around her. She rested her head on his shoulder, and for the shortest moment wished all of this was not just an act. If only he really could care for me.

"So what do you want for Christmas, Love Bug?" His whispered words in her ear left her heart racing, and all possibility of reply vanished. She turned to look into his eyes which held currents of what, if she didn't know any better, she might mistake for tenderness.

Finally, she found her tongue, "The things I want can't be bought at a store," she thought of how the best things in life...the things that really mattered never wear a price tag.

"Like what?"

"Like a home for Hank, to make my parents proud...for moments like this to last forever," she regretted naming the last item on her list the moment it left her lips. "What do you want for Christmas, Schmoopy?" She hoped turning the focus on him would still her rapidly beating heart.

"I want some of the same things," her heart pounded as she looked down and found his lips just a breath away from hers. Closing her eyes in anticipation, she hoped this wasn't just something falling under the category of 'boyfriend things'. More than anything, she wanted this to be completely, totally, irreversibly real. His lips brushed hers, and she melted against his chest.

Ding dong! The shrill sound of the doorbell dispelled the magic of the moment leaving her looking up sheepishly into his eyes.

"I'm sorry," she stammered, cheeks ablaze.

"Don't blush, Chipmunk," his voice was barely above a whisper. "I'm your fake boyfriend; it's only natural you should want to be close to me."

Her heart plummeted downward and needles pricked her behind the eyes. Fake boyfriend. He doesn't really care; it's all just an act. How could I expect any different? I did kidnap him after all...not exactly a solid foundation for love.

***

As soon as the words sprang from his lips, he wished he could take them back. The hurt in her eyes was evidenced as the sparkle from moments earlier fizzled and died. A solid brick wall stood between them now, and he feared nothing he could do or say would tear it down.

"Darcy, I..." The words he wanted to say, needed to say were cut short by the appearance of two new faces.

Even before he was formally introduced, he knew they could be none other than Jacob and Lexi. Briefly, he performed an inspection of Darcy's brother to try and decipher what could be so fantastic about him to make him the favorite. Nothing drew his attention, and he quickly determined the stocky, dark-haired man before him was completely normal and un-extraordinary. Though he dressed well and his parents seemed to be making an undue fuss over him, he saw no visible proof any of the effusion of joy at his presence was at all merited.