Scent.7

13th September 2084

      I was sitting at the dining table reading a book on Ancient Greek Mythology, when Mum walked out of the kitchen carrying her shopping list.

      “OK.” She spoke to both me and Dad, who was sitting on the couch with another book.  “I’m going down to the Store to pick up a few odds and ends. I hope that you both remembered to write down anything you needed.”

      Normally Dad would volunteer to go with her to hold the carry basket as she trolled up and down the small aisles, but today he didn’t.  Today, as well as for the past three days; he stayed home to keep an eye on his daughter, the new Lokoti Werewolf in the family.

      I’ve been housebound the past three days, so much so I might as well have been in jail with all of these new restrictions!  I couldn’t have visitors; I couldn’t go out and visit; as I had to meditate or study, to get my mind off the bloodlust. 

      Grandpa gave me these meditation exercises, but to be honest I found them as about as useful as small puncture repair kit whist trying to plug up a hole in an inflatable life raft, whilst being tossed about a storm-driven sea… In other words, they did diddlysquat in helping me try to ignore or even control the menacing voice of the bloodlust.

      Mum had just started to walk towards the front door when I jumped up and cried out, “can I come too?”

      That made Dad quickly stand up with apprehension, “I don’t think so B.”

      “Why not?” Mum turned his way. “It’s just to the Store.”

      “I don’t think it’s a good idea Jess.” Dad said.

      “But we won’t even be leaving tribal lands!” Mum argued back.

      “B’s supposed to be meditating right now.” Dad said simply.

      “She’s been ‘meditating’ for three days straight.” Mum stated. “Even Buddhist Monks leave the temple now and again from their ‘meditation’. When she comes back from the store she can ‘meditate’ again.”

      I started to snicker at the tone of voice Mum used every time she said the word ‘meditate’.  But then I stopped when Dad next turned his unhappy look my way.

      “Sorry.” I quickly sat back down again.

      “No.” Mum said firmly. “C’mon B, you can help me shop.” She pulled me towards the front door with her.

      “Jess…” Dad started to object.

      “We’ll be home in thirty minutes!” Mum called back as we left the house.

      As we walked over to Dad’s parked truck, the outside sun warmed my skin.  Along with the gentle wind blowing through the trees, the weather instantly picked up my spirits as I felt glad to get out of the house for a little while.   Mum hit the remote to release the truck’s central locking and then we climbed in.

      “Thanks Mum.” I said appreciatively at her stubbornness which could stand against a Lokoti Werewolf’s resolution.

      She gave an affectionate pat on my arm, before she started the engine and reversed out of our driveway.  I caught sight of Dad standing on our veranda with his hands on his hips as he reluctantly watched us leave.   The frown on his face was so deep, it not only made his face look grave but it looked older. 

*****

      After we pulled up into a free car space by the store, I hopped out before Mum did.  With my new strength and energy, I started to notice Mum moved slower than I did.  She closed the door behind herself, locked it and dropped her keys into her handbag as she next pulled out her shopping list.