Chapter Ten: Bert on the Scent

Chapter Ten: Bert on the Scent  

The high that Elliot had felt from finally knowing the truth about the map had been short lived and replaced with concern for Lefty. 

“I have to get down to the Offices of Tranquility and see what I can do,” said Trixie, already clearing away the tea set and grabbing for her clutch purse and jacket. 

Eliza grabbed her backpack and Bert’s leash from beside her on the floor. “Let’s tag along,” she whispered to Elliot. “Our dads will be there anyway.” 

He nodded and slung his own backpack around his shoulders, and they followed Trixie to the front door where she gave her hair a little fluff in the foyer mirror.  

“You two run along home now,” she said to them before shouting a gushy goodbye to Killer, who was still seated in front of the television. 

“Actually, we’re coming along,” said Eliza. “We’re supposed to be meeting our fathers there,” she lied, not wanting to appear too interfering. 

Trixie eyed them suspiciously but didn’t take the time to argue. They followed in the wake of her tiny little steps out of the neighborhood and into town, wondering how on earth she had the patience to walk to work every day at such a slow pace. Elliot felt a chill run through his body, which he knew could mean only one thing –– winter wasn’t too far away, and he pulled his jacket tighter around his middle and shoved his hands into his pockets to keep warm. 

Though Elliot had been in Giggleswick for over a month now, he had no idea where the Offices of Tranquility Headquarters was located. To his surprise, Trixie led them to a building right in the middle of town that Elliot must have walked past twenty times and never noticed. Perhaps he’d been expecting the Offices of Tranquility to look like the White House or a palace of some sort, but in reality it was no bigger than any other shop or building in town. It was a quaint, stone building that could have easily been mistaken for a little savings and loan or a country cottage, and there was really nothing official looking about it. There was no grand sign or gated entryway, only the letters “OT” engraved above the red-painted door. 

Eliza must have seen the expression of surprise on Elliot’s face. “Something wrong?” she asked. 

Elliot shook his head. “Guess I just thought it’d be bigger,” he said casually. 

He hadn’t realized Trixie was paying attention –– she’d never appeared to be paying attention before. “Humphrey’s a modest man,” she explained. “He had the massive headquarters from Donovan’s term torn down. Thought it sent the wrong message about Giggleswick.”

Elliot had been so busy looking at the building that he’d failed to realize the two people, a man and a woman, standing on the walkway in front. He recognized the woman as the news anchor, Ellebasi Nostaw, but he’d never seen the man before.  

“That’s Stan Watson, her cameraman,” said Eliza when Elliot asked.

Just then Ellebasi caught sight of them and quickly grabbed for her microphone before making a mad dash over to Trixie with a smile much too big to be genuine. 

“Ms. Trollop, have you any word on the death of Poppy Scrum?” She motioned for Stan to come closer with his camera. They’d obviously been camping out all afternoon waiting for the first sign of any more news to break. 

To Elliot’s surprise, Trixie seemed eager to be on television. “Well,” she said, stroking her hair, “all I’ve heard is what you broadcasted, Miss Nostaw.” 

Ellebasi giggled. “How kind! You watch the show?” she asked adoringly. 

“Oh, all the time,” Trixie assured her, nodding and smiling for the camera.