prologue.

prologue.

"so I have another cigarette, and I just try to forget, 

how did I end up all alone? how did we all end up dead?"

Maddie touched the wooden door with her fingertips.

There were names carved in it, but they were almost completely erased.

Johnny was also inspecting the living room, hands behind his back, head slightly tilted as he looked at the old furniture. The woman behind them glanced absent-mindedly at the watch on her wrist.

-The house is yours now- she stated with a flat tone. Maddie turned around to face her.

She had dirty blonde hair, gathered up in a perfect braid. She looked familiar, but Maddie didn't seem to remember her name. There was a light "thud" when Johnny sunk into the red sofa, letting out a surprised sigh. Maddie distanced herself from the wooden door, coming closer to a window and peeking through the thick curtains that covered it. The sky was grey and misty, and the ground was still soaked from the rain that had stopped just an hour before.

-The file with additional information will be given to you in a few days- she continued, her voice still blank. When Maddie turned again to look at her, she handed her an old mobile phone.

-If you have any doubts, call the number saved without hesitation-. The girl nodded, holding the small flip phone in her right palm. -You have almost ten thousand dollars in a suitcase in one of your bedrooms. If you need more money, just contact us. Your weapons are hidden in the closet next to the dining room.- she finished. She lifted her lips in a small, emotionless smile.

Maddie wasn't even listening

Her focus was still on the names carved on the door. She wondered who they belonged to.

-From now on, your new life begins.- she continued, polishing her plain grey skirt with both hands. -Remember, you must maintain a low profile. Don't make us doubt our choice -.

-We won't.- Maddie answered. Johnny let out a small laugh. Lucky for him, the woman didn't seem to notice. -You'll be alone. May your hands be still...-

-...And our mind clear- they finished both, two low, mechanical voices.

The woman glanced at them one last time, before exiting the house.

Johnny quickly reached the window, observing silently as the huge BMW parked on the alleyway drove off and disappeared at the end of the neighbourhood. -We're free- he scoffed, sarcastically.