33| Rejection

On Saturday night, I choose a casual red dress from my small collection to wear to dinner, and I slip it on over my head. I choose simple wedges for shoes, and I apply makeup- but not more than I would normally wear.

I'm lost in doing the final touches to my look when I hear a knock at my bedroom door, and see my mom is standing in its way.

"Mom!" I exclaim. "You're home early."

She smiles. "There is an 8th grade parent meeting tonight at Bryn's school. It's about their class trip. I took off work to be there."

"Oh."

I remember those times in eighth grade.

My mom walks farther in my room, and smiles at me. "What's all of this for?" She smiles and gestures to my dress. "Not going on a date with that handsome blond cutie, are you?"

I bite my lip, hiding the nervousness and excitement from showing. "I'm going with Anson for dinner with his Dad. He asked me to be there to alleviate some awkwardness."

"Hmm." She mumbles. "Well you look very pretty either way."

My heart melts and I run over to her with outstretched arms. I pull her close and smile. "Thanks mom."

I breathe in the scent of her flowery perfume. "You smell nice." I say, pulling away.

From downstairs, we hear a rapping noise at the door, and I conclude Anson has arrived to pick me up.

    "Have a good time." My mom says in my ear. At that, I take deep breaths and walk to meet Anson.

The door opens to him smirking down at me. I exhale a sigh of relief when I see that he drove his car to pick me up- alone.

    I would die if we had to ride with his dad in the car, too.

"Are you ready?" His voice calls above me.

"No more than you are." I say honestly, looking up and gripping his arm. I let him lead me to the passenger's side of the camaro.

"You look gorgeous, by the way." Anson's voice is soft.

    You look handsome. Like always.

I take a seat and Anson closes me in. When he is in the driver's side, I buckle up and clasp my hands together nervously in my lap.

Anson's jaw is hard as he pulls out onto the road and begins driving off from my home. Houses flash past through the windows as we drive. I look over at Anson.

    "How was the game last night?" I ask.

    It brings a smile to his face, and he nods. "We beat them. We were actually down in the first and second quarters, but I made a killer comeback in the last quarter."

    I wish I could've been there. I smile. "I'm glad you guys are doing so well."

    "Yeah, coach has been a nightmare at practice. Hopefully he won't ease up now that we won."

    "I think he knows what he's doing." I say.

     Anson chuckles, and makes a right turn. He is silent for a moment. "So, How is your family doing this evening?"

    I think. "Mom was home today. It was good to see her. And Bryn is going on her 8th grade trip in a few weeks."

     I stop talking, and Anson sighs. I notice we have arrived at the restaurant. "Well it's good she can go. I remember going on my trip back then."