Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

One

Kinsley

Kinsley

Their laughter is music to my ears. Smiling, I glance around the car, taking in the faces of the people I love. Mom, Dad, Jessa. Aaron and Madeline. I'm surrounded by my favourite people. Family, a friend, my boyfriend.

The happiness is sunshine seeping through my chest, infatuating every cell in my body.

Pressing my forehead to the window, I relish the coolness of the glass. Outside, the snow is falling hard. Snowflakes dot the windshield and whizz past as Dad drives down the highway.

We're on our way home from dinner at my grandparents' house. Aside from Jessa, the rest of us are failing at singing along with the Christmas carols playing through the speakers. She's the only one with a real singing voice. One that will get her far if she continues to nurture it.

Next to me, Aaron wraps his arm around my shoulders. He pulls me close and presses a kiss to my cheek. This year, he spent Christmas with me and my family instead of returning home to New Brunswick.

I smile, leaning my head against his shoulder. His breath, which smells of cinnamon gum, is hot on my face. I slide my arms around his waist and close my eyes, embedding this moment into my mind. I'm grateful he stayed in Winnipeg this year. Next year, I plan on spending Christmas with him and his family.

"Kins," he murmurs, his accent prominent. It's a mixture of Irish and Scottish. A perfect blend of both.

"Yeah?" I open my eyes and glance up, staring into his warm grey eyes.

He drags his thumb across my chin, smiling down at me. "I'm in love with your family."

Tossing my head back, I laugh. He says that every time there's an event he attends—Christmas, birthdays, St. Patrick's Day.

"And that's the problem with the Hastings family," I tease. "You'll never get sick of them."

In the front seats, I hear Mom and Dad snicker. I'm sure they think I'm a fool for love. But I can't prevent Aaron from making me feel this way. Whenever he's around, I'm on cloud nine.

Chuckling, Aaron dips his head down and kisses me.

It lasts for a few seconds before my sister, Jessa, says, "Ew. Get a room, you two! No kissing in the car!"

She's sitting between Mom and Dad, looking over her shoulder. Watching us.

Aaron pulls away, his eyes twinkling. He doesn't bother looking at Jessa. He knows my sister despises PDA.

Mads snorts. "If you're grossed out, Jessa, then look away."

"But it's gross!" Jessa whines.

Their argument continues on. Aaron grosses Jessa out by saying her sister is a good kisser. Mads plays referee. Mom and Dad laugh.

As they banter, I glance out the window again. The snow looks beautiful. Everything is covered in a blanket of white. It causes excitement to stir in my bones. There's nothing better than a white Christmas.