Two

Upon making it back to your house, you yanked open the back door and let it slam closed behind you with a bang. Ezra perked up from his spot in the window and you ignored him for hanging up your old jean jacket onto one of the hooks by the door. He pranced over to you, tilting his head up at you and letting his jaw hang open in resemblance to a smile. You stared down into his chocolate eyes for all of two seconds before slumping down to pet him up against your chest.

You sat there for what seemed like hours, simply petting his short fur and rubbing the insides of his fluffy ears. You didn't know how to feel anymore. You were annoyed at Daniel. He always did this to you on your dates whenever it was dark out, or the area you were in was dangerous looking. But he'd never screamed before and that set you on edge with worry. He had done this so many times now that you couldn't tell if he was pranking you or not. A part of you hoped he was. The part of you that was angry with him hoped he wasn't.

You shook the suddenly dark thought from your head, pushing yourself up and beckoning Ezra over to sit on the couch while you went into your room to change out of your jeans and into some long sweats. You reemerged into the living room and curled up beside your dog, bringing one of the throw blankets down off the back of the couch to cover your feet and turned the TV back on. Ezra scooted himself to be in your lap and you went back to rubbing his ears while you scrolled through Netflix for something else to watch.

Daniel would come back eventually, and when he did you were going to be pissed at him.

A few hours passed and you must have fallen asleep at some point because the loud knocking at your door caused you to fall to the ground from the couch. Your bleary eyes wandered over to the clock under your TV, letting you know it was nearly five thirty in the morning at this point. And a look out the adjacent window confirmed that the sun was in the very early stages of rising for the day. Whoever was at your door knocked once again and you struggled to disentangle your legs from the blanket on the floor, stumbling over to the front door.

Who was even up at this time? Unless they were up for work or something like that? Maybe it was Daniel finally deciding to come back to apologize for leaving you out in the middle of the woods? If it was him though, why hadn't he come back sooner then?

You got up onto your toes to look out the peephole.

Standing on your front porch were two men, both clearly much taller than you. You could barely make out what they looked like due to the shadows your porch light cast. Though you could faintly see they each had on light jackets and what you guessed were jeans, and the one in the yellow-ish orange hoodie had on work boots of some kind. They both looked to be a little muddy. Construction workers maybe? They seemed to have the build to do light construction and such.

Deciding against your gut fear due to the early hour and poor lighting, you opened the front door with a squeak wide enough to peek the top half of your body out from behind it.

"Can I help you two?" you asked softly.

The one closest to your door perked his head up. He had to be at least a head taller than you and he had a fairly wide build underneath his tan jacket. He gave a one-sided smile to you, shifting so he faced more towards you with his hands in the tops of his jeans. His face was soft with a strong jaw, and his muddy brown hair looked like it could go for a shave around the sides and up the back.

"Yeah," he said. "We're sorry to bother you so early, but our car broke down just down the road and you were the first house we could find that looked like anybody was up. We didn't wake you up did we?"

"Oh, uh-" you glanced down sheepishly. "I fell asleep watching a show on my couch. I needed to wake up anyways to avoid my hips aching all day while I'm out doing errands later on."