14) Abel the Sensitive

My first weekend with Gianluca passed by in a blur. I only saw him two or three times. Sophia told me he had a lot to deal with.

The times I did see him, a smile lit up his face. Whenever he thought I wasn't watching, the smile was replaced with a frown. Something was bothering him.

Gianluca and the two detectives were always whispering together. Everyone seemed agitated. It was evident in the way they huddled together on the sofa speaking in code.

The only thing I could discern was that it had something to do with being watched and drugs. Gianluca looked up from where he was sitting and noticed me standing in the doorway.

I thought he would be angry that I was eavesdropping. If he were, I couldn't tell. I watch as he walks over with a grin on his face.

He laughs before placing a kiss on my lips.

"Have you missed me," he asks. "I have been neglecting you. Sorry." He kisses me again and looks over his shoulder to the two men.

"We'll finish this later." Gianluca puts an arm around me. We walk down the hall.

I want to ask what's going on, but fear still my words. Nothing good can come from knowing the illegal things Gianluca deals in.

"Next weekend will be better," he tells me. "We'll go on a trip together to someplace nice like Italy. You'll like it."

"I don't have a passport." It seems like a dumb thing to say, but that's all that comes.

"Don't worry, everything has been taken care of."

"We won't be able to stay long," I tell him. "I have school. Another weak excuse.

Gianluca gives me a disappointing look and sighs.

"Everything has been taken care of," he says again. "You'll do your school work while we're there. Your school has already agreed to this. Before you say it, your mother is fine with this trip. It'll be a good cultural experience for you."

I give Gianluca a blank stare as he speaks. He even convinced my school to let me go. Who is this man?

"How long will we be there?" I want to know how long I'll be separated from Abel.

"There's no return date just yet." It's Sophia's voice that answers my question. I look up to see her standing at the end of the hall. This can't be okay. It's basically kidnapping. Money really can buy anything.

"I thought it would be nice to have you visit my family's home," she says. "It'll be good for you. The two of you can relax and enjoy each others company. You won't have to worry about any temptation."

I'm sure that this last part is directed at me. No Abel? How can I explain this to him? I don't think he'll understand. Sophia is doing this to separate Abel and me. For the millionth time, this weekend, I say again: life is unfair.

"Where were the two of you going," Sophia asks. "You need to get everything done before the trip. We may have to leave earlier than originally planned."

Gianluca's eyes turn to me. Within them, I can see his internal struggle. It's the first time I've been here that he hasn't gotten the chance to really be alone with me.

"I won't need long," he says. "Just give me 10 minutes."

"You'll have all next weekend to be with Nicca. It's time for Nicca to go home. I'm sure he has a lot of things to take care of before we leave. Tell certain people he's leaving and won't be able to be with them anymore."

Gianluca tells his mother he understands. The trip was a little last minute. He kisses me again then turns around.

"Remember my warning Nicca," Sophia tells me. I would never be able to forget. She just told me to break up with Abel in that cryptic way she sometimes talks in.